New member with White Muzzleloaders

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamblin113

Reaction score
Was looking for information finding shot cups for loading a Tominator, when I stumbled upon this sight. Was caught by surprise to find Doc had passed away.

I will peruse the site to find info, and will ask questions if I am unable to find the info I need.

Welcome from Las Vegas! I’ve got five Whites myself.

As for shot cups, I find that I get better patterns in my Tominator by not using the standard tapered White wads (which are the Ballistic Products 12):

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/BP12-12ga-lead_ITX-unslit-wad-250_bag/productinfo/3221203/
I have been drawn for spring Turkey in AZ, first time in 4 years. Was given what I thought was a Tominator, though there is no writing on the gun at, it looks like one, and it came from Doc, it’s never been fired. Now to determine to use it or not. Would need to acquire all the necessities to get it shooting, have been searching what is needed. Are shot cups needed? Which do you prefer?

I have been drawn for spring Turkey in AZ, first time in 4 years. Was given what I thought was a Tominator, though there is no writing on the gun at, it looks like one, and it came from Doc, it’s never been fired. Now to determine to use it or not. Would need to acquire all the necessities to get it shooting, have been searching what is needed. Are shot cups needed? Which do you prefer?
Cool! Yes, shot cups are needed for optimal performance IMO. The Tominator has a straight rifled barrel. I’ve tried the White shot cups and feel that they’re a little too flimsy for me.

I’ve been happy with this load and plan on using it in Utah and Colorado this year with the .665 extended choke:

5 gr black powder igniter
85 gr 2F 777
lubed wool wad
TUPRW12 wad
2 oz #9 TSS shot (with a 1/4” 20 ga felt wad in the bottom of the wad to take up space)
1/4” wool felt over shot wad

I load a lot of 12 ga duplex steel/TSS waterfowl loads and these are some of the components I use regularly.

Why the bp igniter? I’m not sure why - maybe it’s the short (shape) powder charge in the Tominator - but I often get a very slight ignition delay if I don’t use an igniter in front of the 777.

This load would be good with lead too - but I have gone exclusively to TSS shot for turkeys. It’s absolutely amazing stuff. I killed a tom deader than a bag of hammers at a ridiculous range a couple years ago with it.

9C6FB1C8-D8A9-49AB-B303-C4658D3F3F4A.jpeg

What type of stock is on your shotgun? Laminate or painted black (Myrtle wood) If its the latter its probably a Thunder shotgun made by White. Basically the same as a Tominator, just different stock.

Welcome!

Last edited:
Welcome from Las Vegas! I’ve got five Whites myself.

As for shot cups, I find that I get better patterns in my Tominator by not using the standard tapered White wads (which are the Ballistic Products 12):

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/BP12-12ga-lead_ITX-unslit-wad-250_bag/productinfo/3221203/
How much range do you get without the White wads? I ran out of them during the pandemic and bought the yellow BP wads (unslited). They are much tougher and are a pain to get past the choke. I should buy the standard wads again now that I can, they worked best! Thanks!!

How much range do you get without the White wads? I ran out of them during the pandemic and bought the yellow BP wads (unslited). They are much tougher and are a pain to get past the choke. I should buy the standard wads again now that I can, they worked best! Thanks!!
When I started testing the White wads, I was only shooting at 25-30 yards. Patterns were fair - but what I was seeing that concerned me in some of the recovered wads, was that they were tearing unevenly from the slits to the base of the wad. Which I think was causing erratic wad flight. Anyway, when I went to other wads designed for steel shot (which I really need to use anyway with TSS shot to protect the barrel) I found that they patterned much better at 25 and out at 50 yards. I’m still working with these loads but they are shooting nice turkey patterns at 50-60 yards. I don’t load without removing the super full choke.

Latest posts

Back