New Mule Ear Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hilljack1

Reaction score
SEE POST FURTHER DOWN FOR GREAT PICTURES

Been playing around with the L&R Mule Ear and came up with a 42" Green Mountain "A" profile 36 cal....a really interesting build since I didn't have any experience with this style...Wanted to build a Southern style rifle and came up with this...The rifle is really fast on ignition, especially since it is like a sideways underhammer...did some chrono work and found out that 40 grains of Swiss puts the ball out at 1900 fps...Will be shooting it in a club shoot for the first tim at the first of the month...

Hilljack

side_s10.jpg

side_s11.jpg

Ok maybe this is the way....Sorry  first time trying this....Information above...
Hilljack

Very nice. Oh redid your original post to tell folks to go down a few remarks. hope that's good with you Hilljack....  :thumbs up:

Thank You very much for your help....You are a gentleman.... :bow:

Hilljack

For those that don't know what this lock is: these locks appeared in the [font=proxima-nova, Arial, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]1850's "The American Percussion Side Hammer" better known as the "Mule Ear". Most originals that you can find are in the smaller calibers used for squirrel hunting (the thinking was it being a faster ignition for the fast reaction of these little criders). [/font]The rifles I've looked at had only one ramrod pipe - no entry pipe, and brass tipped hickory ramrods, some had butt plates but many didn't. Some "mule ear" locks had scroll engraving around the percussion hammer what seemed to be a palmetto tree. Walnut and maple were common for half stock and full stock guns. They are a nice addition of a pre Civil War rifle whether an original or a reproduction.

Yes and most of the originals didn't have a half cock or a fly but these newer versions have both...I have two  I have built the one shown is a 42" barrel and the other a 44" barrel...Both have 2 thimbles and no entry thimble....As usual you are a wealth of information....Thanks I appreciate any knowledge you may wish to pass on....

Hilljack

Don't know about "a wealth of information" that can be good and bad. I blame mine on old age and playing to much instead of trying to save our funds for a rainy day.  Guess that's why I like old Danny D. in "It Never Rains in Phila."

Really beautiful build. The mule ear gives the rifle a very sleek look. Fantastic piece of wood also helps. A rifle to be proud of that's for sure.

Here is the best shot I can do learning this new posting system...

Hilljack
mule_e10.jpg

Yes it is as Buck said....Will have some targets in the next few days....I have shot the 44" 36 cal Muley more than this one, so it should be fun...I will be shooting 40 Grains 3F Swiss, .017 Patch, .360 round ball....It chronographed out at 1910 fps...

Hilljack

Hilljack said:
Yes it is as Buck said....Will have some targets in the next few days....I have shot the 44" 36 cal Muley more than this one, so it should be fun...I will be shooting 40 Grains 3F Swiss, .017 Patch, .360 round ball....It chronographed out at 1910 fps...

Hilljack
I really like the caliber (sold the last .36 a while back), loaded with Goex 3FFF - 55 grains it would knock the stuffin' out of anything small. The coyotes loved it when the last .36 was sold, now they have friends again. Wait until I get the Ruger 6.5 Creedmoor honed in for these 600-900 yard shots.

Here is my 44" Green Mountain, "A" Profile, 36 Cal, Mule Ear....

Hilljack 

mule_e11.jpg

Back