New omega!!!!!!!!!!!!,,,,,,,,,help?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nubbuck40

Reaction score
Thanks guys for your replies in my earlier post. Got the omega Z5, took it out yesterday to shoot and right now I'm a little disappointed and confused. I cleaned the gun as suggessted, loaded it with 250 gr SW sabot (dry barrell) and 100 gr of triple 7(pellets). Standing@ 50 yds, shooting at 5in target, I was about 5-6 inches high, dry patched, reloaded, shot with same result,,,,,,,,,,,,,,two more shots didn't make contact with target,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,any suggestions.......thanks

congrtates on the new omega, i also just got one and it shoots great. now let me see if i understand you correctly,your sighting in at 50 yds an its consistently shooting 5in high?

Make absolutely certain there is no grease or oil in the bore before loading. Shoot from a bench until you get groups that make you happy. Do a lightly damp swab/dry swab (both sides each) between shots.

Go slow, be consistent, take your time between shots.

It takes a little time to get it right on . That second group is more than likely from you pulling the shots . Mine loves 110gr ffg 777 and 250 ShockWave . I get under 1" groups at 100 yards . The other thing to check is that your scope is tight and not lose if you have one . I have had mine for 5 years and love it . Don't worry about where the groups are until you get used the gun , then you can put it dead on .
Charlie

You say you were standing when sighting in your Z5. If so try shooting from a rest and take your time. Let the Omega rest between shots and run a spit patch in a jerking motion thru the bore followed up by a dry patch. I bet your Omega will shoot very well and you will be happy. I very seldom use iron sights due to my 70 year old eyes do not focus all that well using them. If you are not using a scope then you might think about investing in one. Using a scope you will more than likely cut the previous shots hole out. I have not seen an inaccurate Omega. After you get used to shooting the Omega there are little tweeks that make it shoot even better

When I sight in a rifle .. whether scoped or open sights, I start at 13yards off a bench rest. A cardboard box is usually a good target. If that rifle will not stack them, I work that load until it stacks them dead center in the bulls eye.

Then I move back to 25 yards and do the same thing all over again. At that distance it should stack them or touch them up unless you get a flier.

Once I am sure of the load, the powder, the projectile, and my swabbing procedures, then I move back to the 50 yards line.. again off a bench rest.

I keep doing this same routine moving further and further back until I reach the distance I want the rifle sighted in at. In my case that is 75 yards. After I am sure the rifle is dead on, and it hits where I shoot.. then I start my free standing shooting at different distances..

I would get that rifle on a bench rest at the least... 25 yards. Work that load and make sure it is good and tight. If you are off at all because it is not the best load for the rifle, free standing could throw a flier that .. no telling where it will hit.

Besides, (I admit this with humility) I am not that great of a free standing shot at paper targets. Now put a deer moving in front of me and something clicks in me and I pull the shot off 99% of the time. I practice free standing, but I am one that if I can find a tree to lean or my shooting sticks, or anything... I am there.

thankful

I really appreciate all the input, I'm learning alot and am very excited about shooting. Thanks again

Back