New Rem 700ML Build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Picked up a nice Rem 700ML on GunBroker for what I thought was a decent price :partyman: Surprised me the bid didn't go higher but the listing mentioned slight rust and pitting in the bore, might have scared people off. There is not a spot of rust on it and the bore is mirror smooth with only a very light amount of roughness where some of the grooves meet the lands, still a good .50 cal. barrel. Small amount of wear on the bluing from the bolt cycling but overall very nice.

I stripped it down yesterday and the barrel spun right off, what a relief that was, I've read the horror stories about the blued models being difficult at times.

Here's the action naked and wanting to be whole again

I'm gonna go a little wild on this one for heftier smokeless sabotless only loads.

Thinking about.....

.45 cal Brux barrel with ASG's breech plug
Hunter bolt nose kit for 209 primers
Muscle brake
One piece steel scope base, undecided on brand
Warne steel rings
Boyds Pro Varmint applejack laminate stock with upgraded recoil pad, possible checkering or stippling
Rossman pillars, full bedding job
Harris bipod (most likely)
High power scope, brand undecided, thinking of mil dot reticle or custom turret

I think that's about it....

Feel free to throw your thoughts and ideas out, this project will take a while....but hopefully not too long :mrgreen:

I forgot about the trigger.....

It came with the factory trigger which felt nice, I will use the stock trigger initially and see how it goes.

One of these days, I am going to look at installing the ramrod in the boyds stock, I've got a few ideas in mind, just have to take a look at it someday. It that falls through, the 3 piece looks like the way to go.

Few tools and little patience very easy build with lukes parts. Built one 2 weeks ago . Took5 hrs and was shooting sub moa . Luke has made this build virtually a simple kit. And a full bed block stock really makes it easy

Sounds like you have a pretty darn good plan ahead of you. You will have no problem getting the most out of your gun with those components. Can't wait to see you results.

I'd get an aftermarket trigger if it were me. You're going to all the trouble of getting those other parts. For another $125 you can get a good one and increase the accuracy dramatically

rambler

I have an upgraded 700 ML. You definitely want to consider a new trigger. Currently Remington is recalling the newer 700 models because of faulty triggers. The newest 700 ML was produced in 2004 so these guns don't qualify under the terms Remington set. The older 700's seem to have the more problematic, unsafe triggers. I replaced two of mine with Timney triggers. Another company up in Canada is producing a quality trigger.

I'm not saying there are problems with Rem700 triggers but I have never experienced what people are talking about and have owned more than a dozen and shot more than I can count from working in a gunsmith shop for 10 years. They aren't perfect and sometimes it is cheaper/easier to buy a replacement drop-in than to blue-print one but most can be adjusted satisfactorily. The key is expectation management; a clean 3-3.5# is predictable, 2.5# happens sometimes, an 8oz Jewell does not.

What do you think of those TriggerTech triggers. The price looks good and the reviews seem positive.

Did the TriggerTech triggers go up in price? List price is showing $129. I thought they were about $90 IIRC, first read about them on Doug's.

I tried the trigger on my new used 700ML and it felt quite nice, I'll use it on the new build (if i ever get going on it :d'oh!: ) and see how it does.

My first 700ML came with a Timney and it works good.
5gr%20clays-65%20IMR4198%20duplex%20250gr%20TEZ_zpswpkl4mrw.jpg

Probably a dumb question but here goes. Is the action on a older Rem 700 ml the same as used on all their center fires? Is the newer Remington Ultimate action also the same?

The ML action is not the same as a CF action...there is no real locking lugs on a mL action as a cf action...but they are very close as the same except for lugs,,

I believe the UL action is the same as a CF action..you need to do a form 4473 for it...

The 700ML does not have lugs and cannot be converted to use a metallic round so doesn't need a 4473. It has a unique bolt, firing pin, and firing pin spring. It shares all other characteristics: mounts, triggers, stocks, etc.

The new 700 Ultimate is a CF action in the form of the 40-X. It can be used for anything you want to cannibalize it for and requires a 4473.

Guys;
Could not resist giving a shout out to Tom Hood of Badger Ridge Industries, Sulffok, VA. I purchased the bolt nose kit from him and also had him do the installation. This fellow veteran is top notch and will offer you a ton of assistance. His goal is to make your smoke pole the best its capable of being. I know my Remington 700 ML is bad to the bone.

dirtdobber said:
Guys;
Could not resist giving a shout out to Tom Hood of Badger Ridge Industries, Sulffok, VA. I purchased the bolt nose kit from him and also had him do the installation. This fellow veteran is top notch and will offer you a ton of assistance. His goal is to make your smoke pole the best its capable of being. I know my Remington 700 ML is bad to the bone.

"His" 209 kit (according to his FaceSpace account) sure looks a lot like Hunter's kit...

Back