New Rifle Coming in 2 Weeks

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good news, the rifle has been sent. Tracking numbers say it will be here Monday. Too bad that Florida doesn't allow turkey hunting with rifles on public land. I have 3 hunts scheduled starting a week from tomorrow. A .433 ball should be just right for a turkey.

:Red tup: can't wait to see how she shoots!

Run some of that shoot out lube through it first. 15-20 shots and then clean it out the usual way.

IT'S HERE!

The postman drove up and said, "I have an unusual box for you. What is it?" I told him I'd have to open it to see.
He handed me a short handmade plywood box held together with screws and cloth tape.

Lange1webA_zpsvtokwcbf.jpg

I opened the box with a drill driver and saw the gem close up.

Lange2aWEB_zpsamxtjdsn.jpg

I assembled it (30 seconds) and held it up. It weighs almost nothing - 6 lbs. 8 oz.

Lange3aWEB_zps7ddul4mo.jpg

I am very happy with the rifle. I dropped a bore light down it and it is immaculate inside.

Lange%205cWEB_zpskql5ncmq.jpg

I'll clean it and shoot it tomorrow. I think I'll start with a .433 round ball and 55 gr. of 3f. I'll work my way up to 65 or 70 gr. after using Jon's "Shoot Out" polishing compound.

Really nice rifle Bob I love the wood. But Im curious now did the postman stick around to see what was in the box?

I bought a Kentucky smooth bore pistol that arrived in a box just like that. The top was screwed in and the protection for shipping was top notch. I wonder if we bought our firearms from the same person.
No need to name them. I am just complementing the person on the trouble they took to pack so thoroughly.

Ron

What a beauty! I really like the looks of that rifle, especially with that heavy/beefy looking barrel.

Did you say that was 1" across the flats?

Ron, I got it from Mike Lange.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Jon, It's 1" outside diameter but it's only 24" long. It's easy to carry but I will probably need some sort of rest to help stabilize it for shooting over 50 yards.

I ran patches with Remington 40X through the barrel 20 times and then shot it 10 times with "Shoot Out" with 20 gr. 3F and 30 gr. 3F at 25 yards. (5 shots with each.) There was vertical stringing but that was most likely from my eyes having trouble seeing the front sight against the target. I was resting along the side of a pine tree.

I disassembled the gun and removed the rib with the thimbles, rubbed it all down with paste wax, reassembled with Loktite on the screws and anti-seize on the bolster screw and nipple.

He polished the lock and trigger and it is smooth and light. Even using the front trigger without setting it is very smooth and probably only has about a 5 lb. pull.
I don't have any real thin patches cut to shoot the .440 balls so I used the .433 balls with .018 and .020 patches.

I have to scout for turkeys by boat tomorrow and set up a blind Thursday morning so I don't know if I'll get any bench shooting done before next week.

Looks like it is a different fellow than the one I bought the pistol from.

Enjoy!
Ron

Latest posts

Back