New rifle, which would you choose?????

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Tikka T3 SS Light and would HIGHLY recommend them. Amazing shooter and a tad over 7.5lbs scoped w/ 3-12X. If you think light weight and weatherproof equates with 'cheap', then they do feel very cheap. I love mine and it gets more use than anything else in my overflowing safe. Traded a Browning Abolt Micro for it years ago, no comparison accuracy wise and mechanically. I'd get another in a heartbeat.

My friend has a Weatherby and has had a lot of trouble with it. I believe its the Ultralite model in 30-06. The gun looks nice but doesn't shoot well. I had a Tikka T3 Lite stainless in 270 WSM. The gun was awesome. It shot most ammo to nearly the same POI. I sold it on Friday because I was able to get a great deal on a Sako A7 in 30-06. The Sako feels very similar to the Tikka but has a few "upgrades" over the Tikka. I would highly recommend the Tikka over the Weatherby. For caliber I'd stick with the 06. Unless your shots are going to be consistently over 300 yards there is little to gain with the 300 mag except more pain and powder costs.

Damn double post! Also, if you have a friend reloading, you can reload the 06 to nearly 300 mag levels. But I don't see you needing that kind of power, even on moose, given the vast array of quality 30 cal bullets available today.

This critter fell to a single shot this past October. 30/06 with 165 Partition out of a Sako Bavarian, up in your neck of the woods...Newfoundland.

Mikesbigbull.jpg

I too would suggest other than the 300 Mag. It's perfectly suitable for your intentions, but my question is why so much? More powder, recoil, muzzle blast and jump, brass costs more...etc, etc. A 30/06 or even a 308 for that matter would fill your needs nicely; the 308 even gets the nod in the accuracy department.

As was also mentioned in other posts, I'd look at the Sakos as opposed to Tikkas. Great shooters, ADJUSTABLE TRIGGERS, and nothing cheap about them. A lot of Sako buffs prefer the older models, and I'd bet you could find an AV for a good price. That 85 Bavarian I have has a beautiful set trigger, but it was finicky about the load. It really likes the 165 grainers, but didn't do so well with the 180's or above.

How long do you plan on owning this gun? Oh...the rest of your life? Spend a few bucks more and make it the one you really want with no regrets.

Rifle Choice

I use to own both. The Tikka is a good bit lighter but the Vanguard is considerably less expensive. I've been hunting in Maine and I would buy the Vanguard, especially since you're going with a .300 Win. Mag.. The extra weight of the gun will cut down on the felt recoil you feel. Hope this helps.

update...I bought the vanguard in a 300 Weatherby mag and will be reloading for it using 180gr. noslers.

thanks

That should be enough gun anyway for most critters. It may be a little rough in a T shirt on a Summer day though.

Of course I ment tough on your body that is in the T-shirt. :wink:

Thats funny, "A little rough in a t-shirt." Congrats on the new purchase.
muskrat30 said:
That should be enough gun anyway for most critters. It may be a little rough in a T shirt on a Summer day though.

Latest posts

Back