New to forum bullet question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grago

Reaction score
First I would like to say hi to everyone. Been reading a lot on here. A lot of knowledge on here. First I would like to say I haven't gotten to hunt very much the last few years. Came down with Ra. And pretty much knocked me in the creek. I am some better do to better medicine. Am gonna try to hunt this year a little. Have bought a new optima. And have decided on blackhorn 209. Powder. Cci 209 m primers. But on the bullets I am lost kinda leaning toward the barnes Tez. 250. But not sure. Have read on here now a days. You can even shoot A 357 bullet in a 50 cal. Just wondering some options that you guys have had experience with. Thanks

The Barnes TEZ 250 is an excellent choice. Si is the Hornady Monoflex 250 in either .452 or .458 diameter. A very inexpensive option is the PT Gold bullet in 260 or 300 grain. Very cheap but a great performer.
BH209 IS the way to go, but you need a BH209 Breech plug. If you don't have one, get the Western Powders plug from Carlos at Ed's Gun Shop. 910-692-7936
He also has all the bullets, sabots, powder & accessories you'll need. Most likely cheaper than anyone else & you'll never deal with a better guy.

Glad you're getting some relief from your RA. Hope you can truly enjoy your shooting & hunting time. Also.....Welcome to the forum :)

Greg

Thanks Greg. I appreciate the info. It's kinda funny. I have hunted all my life and was even a guide for many years. I have taken my share of game. But now I feel fortunate to just be able to go again. We kinda take sunrises.out in the field for granted but once it's taken away. You learn to appreciate it more. But I still will enjoy seeing. Deer in the wild and maybe see something I might want to take a shot at. Sure feels good to think I'm gonna get to go again

Having debilitating health issues is a huge pain (in more ways than one) but even hunting close too your truck......just getting out & sitting in a blind works wonders for your mental spirits. I have one ground blind on a wooded corner / edge that I love & I park my truck on the two track right behind my blind. The truck is literally 5 yards from my blind, lol. But I'm out there!! I hope you get to do it as well.

Greg

Tumbling bullet: Trying out Thor NW Legal .50 cal 247gr HollowPoints and using 100 grain of Pyrodex RS. The test bullets for sizing determined that .503 bullet to be  used on a Tradition inline. One thing I noticed when sizing that a .502 slipped threw just a little bit too easy and when placing a a .503 there was a lot more resistance when loading but the bullet did seat down into the barrel. Placed target at 50 yds. and let two rounds off to find that both rounds tumbled and did not even hit paper. Oh, one other thing, I did test the rifle with a round ball and hit paper before using the Thor bullets. Guys, I some ideas to resolve the problem. I got this big bull elk out here in Oregon calling for me. Thanks. :?: :shock: 08.28.2018 22:18:15

Sounds like your getting gas blow by .  Is your barrel rifle to the very end or does the rifle stop about one inch from the barrel to allow for easier reloading ?  If so you may need either a wad/card or a mmp sub base under the bullet.

Latest posts

Back