New to long range, new to forum. Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldhobo

Reaction score
I picked up a 15/16 1 in 28 GM. Long range hunter barrel 6 years ago. It's now sitting on a rifle.
So, where do I start.
I picked up a target front and rear sight. Not installed yet. My serious long shot could be 200 yds. For fun paper 300. T.c. lock trigger. I made the stock.
I have a 50 cal t.c. maxi mold.
What else do I need.
Is there a better mold/bullet.
Where to begin with powder charge.
Musket or #11 caps.
Weigh or measure charge?
Paper patch or grease.
Is there a book written on this?
Lots to talk about. Glad to be here.

T/C Maxi balls are great. Molding your own is definitely the way to go. You can use either #11 or musket cap. I have had better luck with the #11 on my side lock rifle. Musket caps seemed to be too large for the hammer. Your experience may vary. The charge depends on the powder you are using. I have only shot Pyrodex and Black powder. For me, 80 grains is a good load. Again, your experience may vary. I'm sure others will chime in with recommendations.

I picked up a 15/16 1 in 28 GM. Long range hunter barrel 6 years ago. It's now sitting on a rifle.
So, where do I start.
I picked up a target front and rear sight. Not installed yet. My serious long shot could be 200 yds. For fun paper 300. T.c. lock trigger. I made the stock.
What else do I need.
Musket or #11 caps.
Weigh or measure charge?
Paper patch or grease.

I'm assuming you are shooting a 50?
I have 4- 50's shooting the paper patched Lee 500S&W bullet. That bullet has taken a pile of game for me, my son, and friends. I use 80 gr by volume 64 5 gr by weight of pyrodex P with an over powder wad measuring. 620.
After wrapping the bullet I size it to .501. I have found that those bullets are the most accurate at 1310 to 1350 fps.
I slightly hardened them to between 6 and 7 BHN. The pictures I'm adding were of the bull I killed in 2021.
I've been using this bullet for over a dozen years. I trust this bullet for anything that walks in north America.

Attachments

• 13943.jpeg
    13943.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20201010_201905.jpg
    20201010_201905.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20201010_201928.jpg
    20201010_201928.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200901_194632.jpg
    20200901_194632.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 13
I forgot to say, that bullet above started put at 458 grains. The shot was 248 yards.

So, where do I start.
What else do I need.
Musket or #11 caps.
Weigh or measure charge?
Paper patch or grease.
You might want to try using the search function on this forum if you have any specific questions before asking. I only mention this because just about everything has already been discussed at length here in the past and a lot of knowledgeable members have come and gone over the years and you may not necessarily get all the same info as what was mentioned in previous discussions. Then if you still have questions, ask away. People are more than willing to answer any questions you may have

Thanks. You men know your stuff. I've shot slow twist rb for years, this is going to be fun building up a load, bullets etc.
I've watched idaholewis info, videos. Writing down all of your info you are giving me. Thanks!
Now recoil must be stout with a 450 plus bullet and 80 grs. I'm I correct?

Thanks. You men know your stuff. I've shot slow twist rb for years, this is going to be fun building up a load, bullets etc.
I've watched idaholewis info, videos. Writing down all of your info you are giving me. Thanks!
Now recoil must be stout with a 450 plus bullet and 80 grs. I'm I correct?
The only time ive been scope bit was with that load. 80gr powder and a 460gr Bullet. So yeah, hang on tight.

So this is the gun I built from parts. Investarms lock. Tc trigger, renegade guard. Green mt. 1 in 28 twist barrel. It still has the factory sights. I just received the the globe and rear.
The stock is to long. 15.5 inches. I'm cutting it back to 13.8.
I used a t.c. renagade plate. I think I will install a rubber butt shot gun type pad.
Can't wait to shoot it. I also have a hawken with a 1 in 66 barrel.
And many others I built over the past 35 years.

IdahoRon, what paper are you using? And how far did the bull go after the shot?
I use #9 onion skin paper.
I dropped the bull in his tracks. The bull was yery close to private land. I had to drop him as fast as possible. I held for a high shoulder shot. It broke the shoulder and the spine. The bullet was in the opposite shoulder.

Back