New to me TC Greyhawk 50 cal.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cattledog

Reaction score
Hi Guy's

First time posting in the sidelock forum. I saw a GreyHawk few years back and liked the concept for wet weather hunting. Yesterday, I walked into Kittery looking for a turkey choke and found a TC GreyHawk that had never been shot. I think I overpaid a bit, but am happy with the rifle's condition. I pulled the nipple and there is no sign of powder or smell bore is perfect. This GreyHawk does not of the QLA.

My main thought for purchase was that #11 caps are much easier to find right now and in muzzleloader season. If I use it this season I might be the only guy locally hunting with a sidelock. My current plan is to sight the rifle with Goex FFFg, Barnes 250 grain TMZ, and Remmington #11 caps. Powder charge of maybe 75 gains to start? Does that load sound like a reasonable place to start? I would like to stay with the TMZ due it's past in field performance.

Thanks!

That Grey Hawk is a nice rifle.
You might find that what works good in one rifle may not in another.
I'd recommend getting a couple different bullets to try out, even round balls.
Start with 60 grains volume of your 3f powder and work up from there.

I believe the Greyhawk is a 1 in 48 twist. It might not stabilize a projectile as long as the TMZ. Like Deermanok said, maybe round balls, or if you want to use a sabot, maybe a 250 gr XTP. Since you already have the TMZ’s, give them a try, but be ready to try something else.

Thanks! I really should have planned my projectile and velocity by the twist and barrel length.. Slugging the bore might be worth while too. I wonder how hard it would be to pull a copper vs lead bullet. I can't just remove the breach plug with a side lock.

Considering the gun's condition, I am planning on treating the muzzleloader with dyna tek before shooting. The coating has work amazing on my ultralight. My experience with unteated stainless TC Omega's has not been as good.

Greyhawk is 1:48, at least my NON-QLA rifle is. I put mine in a pristine walnut stock and added a TC peep. Its a really nice rifle to tote around, well balanced and shoots well. I shoot 80 grains of 3F BP and a 44 caliber 300 grain pistol bullet with the old vintage TC break-a-way sabots. It's minute of deer all day long. Like deermanok mine also like the maxis.

I agree it should be a great carrying rifle, defiantly muzzle weight forward. Interestingly there are no fittings for a sling or front strap. I don't use a slings, but not having the option is kinda odd. I am really looking forward to using it out of my tree saddle this fall. I think it will shine in that environment.

I looked thought the safe today to check on the bores of the other muzzleloaders... I will dry swab them a couple of times year. I think I have a thing for carbines There are now 6 in the collection...

I’ve had a T/C leather lace-up sling for about 25+ years. It looks very similar to deermanok’s. It works great, but I will caution that if you leave it on a rifle with a brass butt plate for several years in a gun safe, it will tarnish your brass (I heard that from “a friend” lol). No permanent harm.

I really like the Greyhawk...have two 50s. Balance is about perfect and the stainless with synthetic stock will put up with most everything. Have a peep sight on one of mine.

Had a memorable stalk on a resting buck in an open hayfield on a sunny day with mine. Crept to within 25 yards of the animal before he stood and I shot him. Think I was using a 325 gr Maxihunter over 90 gr RS at that time.

When the smoke cleared a buck was standing there looking at the ground. I thought, "How could I have missed, he was so close." But it was a second buck that I hadn't noticed. He apparently came over to see what had happened to his buddy who was lying there in the hayfield.

Since I had left my possibles bag at the edge of the hayfield for the stalk, there was nothing I could do.

Latest posts

Back