New to muzzleloader from CO

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloominonion

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm new to muzzleloader hunting, trying to get into it after a lucky draw for a tag in New Mexico (1.8% chance for out of state). I currently live in Colorado and will probably look at getting into some of these other muzzleloader tags along with archery.

I'm trying to get setup for the season and have been combing the forums here for info and it has lead to a lot of good info.

I have been looking at the TC Triumph or the TC Omega as my first gun. I really like the Triumph for the ease of cleaning, but the Omega fan base has me wondering which side of the grass is greener haha.

Hello all. I'm new to muzzleloader hunting, trying to get into it after a lucky draw for a tag in New Mexico (1.8% chance for out of state). I currently live in Colorado and will probably look at getting into some of these other muzzleloader tags along with archery.

I'm trying to get setup for the season and have been combing the forums here for info and it has lead to a lot of good info.

I have been looking at the TC Triumph or the TC Omega as my first gun. I really like the Triumph for the ease of cleaning, but the Omega fan base has me wondering which side of the grass is greener haha.
Hello and welcome to the forum!

I have a feeling there a lot of those here... My wife and my wallet might not like me if I spend too much time on here 😂.
Two of the legendary Michigan enablers here are michiganmuzzy and Snapbang. In fact, I believe they started the whole ENABLER movement. They'll help you buy all the guns and gear you could possibly need..

I started put with a triumph bone collector. Was a great gun but I graduated on from that to "real" muzzleloaders 😉

Welcome
Ok, so I'll bite. What are the "real" muzzleloaders? If I need to jump on something else as a first, I'm open to suggestions.

Ok, so I'll bite. What are the "real" muzzleloaders? If I need to jump on something else as a first, I'm open to suggestions.
I'm just stirring, stick with those options if you're just looking for another season.

If you just really love muzzleloaders like me then you might evolve your interest over time. I went inlines - fast twist caplock- slow twist caplock - slow twist flintlock rifle & smootbore.

I've got one fast twist caplock but it sits gathering dust like my centrefires, I pretty much just hunt with flintlocks these days. I have no weapon specific seasons here so I can hunt with whatever I want.

I'm just stirring, stick with those options if you're just looking for another season.

If you just really love muzzleloaders like me then you might evolve your interest over time. I went inlines - fast twist caplock- slow twist caplock - slow twist flintlock rifle & smootbore.

I've got one fast twist caplock but it sits gathering dust like my centrefires, I pretty much just hunt with flintlocks these days. I have no weapon specific seasons here so I can hunt with whatever I want.
Yeah, I'm starting in the easy side for a specific season, but seeing how hard consumables are to find, I could see myself getting a flintlock down the line for plinking and maybe even hunting so I don't have to hunt down primers haha.
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if CO made it flintlocks only in the future because the modern inclines are so good. Or they might so like NM and have a "restricted" season.

Yeah, I'm starting in the easy side for a specific season, but seeing how hard consumables are to find, I could see myself getting a flintlock down the line for plinking and maybe even hunting so I don't have to hunt down primers haha.
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if CO made it flintlocks only in the future because the modern inclines are so good. Or they might so like NM and have a "restricted" season.
It's probably an easier transition for you to use modern style guns anyway. I wanted to start out with a flintlock but was intimidated by it so went inline. I had that bone collector for about 8 years and did like it but by the end it was just gathering dust. I didn't find it was any better or worse at killing than the flintlock and balls I use today.

I'm personally all for real traditional types of seasons.
Folks really underestimate how good spheres of lead are at killing. Don't forget you guys wiped out elk and bison from the eastern states with flintlocks and roundballs!

5 years ago I wanted to start building points for the states. Narrowed it to WY, MT or CO. Didn't go CO because it seemed like point creep was getting bad, didnt go MT because they required a hunter safety before building points, decided on WY. The only one that still doesn't really have any decent muzzleloader seasons!

It's probably an easier transition for you to use modern style guns anyway. I wanted to start out with a flintlock but was intimidated by it so went inline. I had that bone collector for about 8 years and did like it but by the end it was just gathering dust. I didn't find it was any better or worse at killing than the flintlock and balls I use today.

I'm personally all for real traditional types of seasons.
Folks really underestimate how good spheres of lead are at killing. Don't forget you guys wiped out elk and bison from the eastern states with flintlocks and roundballs!

5 years ago I wanted to start building points for the states. Narrowed it to WY, MT or CO. Didn't go CO because it seemed like point creep was getting bad, didnt go MT because they required a hunter safety before building points, decided on WY. The only one that still doesn't really have any decent muzzleloader seasons!
Yeah, the CO point creep is a real problem (although I hear rumors of point banking (CPW Recommends Colorado Big Game Tag Allocation Changes), no idea if it will go anywhere).

It will be nice to have another option for the more difficult to get hunts instead of jumping in with the plethora of people in regular rifle season. I almost wish CO would do a traditional and modern muzzy season during the rut so you get increasingly less primitive over time. Let the bows and traditional have more chances 😄.

Latest posts

Back