New to muzzleloaders

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dcwman

Reaction score
Hi im dustin from Texas I recently found a layman deerstalker 50 cal percussion cap at a pawnshop and i put in layaway the bore and rifling was actually good shape .I use to have a cva wolf that I never got to shoot thanks to family member steeling my guns and left me with the ammo so I still had black powder hornday ammo primers and pyrodex pellets . I'd really like to know what all I can shoot from this rifle and like to learn more about blackpowder weapons. Any help will be appreciated.

Welcome from Oklahoma.
The Deerstalker is a good hunting rifle.
Do not try to use any pellets in that gun. You'll have problems.
Loose powder only!
Pyrodex RS or P. Triple 7 2f or 3f. Real black powder are the best options.
Number 11 percussion caps are what you want for primers.
You could use musket caps but you'll need to change to a musket cap nipple. The proper thread size isn't too hard to find out.
Round balls or lead conical bullets. You'll have to experiment to find what works best.
Good luck.

Welcome from Oklahoma.
Loose powder only!
You could use musket caps but you'll need to change to a musket cap nipple. The proper thread size isn't too hard to find out.
Round balls or lead conical bullets. You'll have to experiment to find what works best.
Good luck

Welcome from Oklahoma.
Loose powder only!
Good luck.
Deermanok thank you very much for the help and it's very nice to meet all yall im really looking forward to shooting this rifle 🙂

You'll be making smoke in no time.
It will be something new for me and my little brother he wants to get a black powder rifle as well .could I buy a mold and make paper patch rounds to use in the Deerstalker? I ask cause I already make lead bullets for my high power air rifles .I have a round ball mold in .498 that might be to big for the black powder rifle but I'm ok with buying molds I enjoy sitting there maken my own ammo. Not many my age will do it there so scared of the lead .

It will be something new for me and my little brother he wants to get a black powder rifle as well .could I buy a mold and make paper patch rounds to use in the Deerstalker? I ask cause I already make lead bullets for my high power air rifles .I have a round ball mold in .498 that might be to big for the black powder rifle but I'm ok with buying molds I enjoy sitting there maken my own ammo. Not many my age will do it there so scared of the lead .
490, 495 are generally the size ball used in the 50 cal.
Check out a guy on YouTube.
Idaho Lewis. He does a lot of shooting with paper patched bullets. There's another guy named Idaho Ron. He does a lot of the same. I think he's on this site too.
I'm more of a round ball shooter myself with store bought ammunition.

490, 495 are generally the size ball used in the 50 cal.
Check out a guy on YouTube.
Idaho Lewis. He does a lot of shooting with paper patched bullets. There's another guy named Idaho Ron. He does a lot of the same. I think he's on this site too.
I'm more of a round ball shooter myself with store bought ammunition.
Ok will do sir thank very much .what is the difference in the 209 primers and the #11 primers ? I ask cause I already have the 209 for muzzleloader.

Here's a picture of a 209 primer, musket cap and a # 11 cap.
As you can see, they are are all quite different in design but function the same.
There's a device called the Magspark. It replaces the nipple on a traditional gun to allow the use of 209 primers instead of the # 11 caps.20220913_063648.jpg

Here's a picture of a 209 primer, musket cap and a # 11 cap.
As you can see, they are are all quite different in design but function the same.
There's a device called the Magspark. It replaces the nipple on a traditional gun to allow the use of 209 primers instead of the # 11 caps.View attachment 23227oh wow they are all different I may have to do the mag spark cause the 209 is easier to come by in my area but I did see some the #11 caps at Walmart and when I get payed I'm going to go pick them and some other black powder stuff up .

Back