new to muzzleloading , and so far im loveing it

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have a small hardhat knife that i forgot i even had .it is realy sharp and stays that way .will bring these 2 knifes . tomorrow im going to sight it . going to print some targets up and get my gear around .

MVC-012F-1.jpg

MVC-015F-2.jpg

Mathew_h where did you ever get that hard knife? Believe this or not, I have one of them knives myself. I found it one day as I remember. It has a stainless steel blade and I have carried that knife for a very long time. Mine is from the Zippo lighter company, and has an FE engraved on the handle. And you're right it does stay sharp. I just find it strange as I never knew anyone that had one of them before.

Dcp06930.jpg

And I have field dressed a deer with that knife once... :D

my father found it about 5 years ago when we were movieing , it was in the basement work shop of our old house . it has safety award 1999 lazer engraved on the blade .

did not have the range time i thought i would have , about 2 hours. got it to shoot a good 1 inch group at 60 some yards .i'm sure nearly every one here can do better that that but it should kill a deer . i was useing 2 50/50 pyrodex pellets ,a 300 grain t/c shockwave easy glide sabot and some 209 pmc optima shot shell primers . after season is over i plan to get alot of range time and realy dial in the load and learn to shoot better at 60-100 yards .

also i forgot the camera when i went to sight in , i guess im a retard . the barrel swab stuff you guys recomended worked great . now all i need to to do is get my gear around and sharpen my knifes .

matthew_h said:
did not have the range time i thought i would have , about 2 hours. got it to shoot a good 1 inch group at 60 some yards .i'm sure nearly every one here can do better that that but it should kill a deer . i was useing 2 50/50 pyrodex pellets ,a 300 grain t/c shockwave easy glide sabot and some 209 pmc optima shot shell primers . after season is over i plan to get alot of range time and realy dial in the load and learn to shoot better at 60-100 yards .

also i forgot the camera when i went to sight in , i guess im a retard . the barrel swab stuff you guys recomended worked great . now all i need to to do is get my gear around and sharpen my knifes .

1" group at 60 yards is great shooting. Don't kid yourself. Many of my friend that claim to shoot groups like that, never seem to be having a good day on the range when they come to my house. I personally am real happy with a group like you described. It means venison in the freezer to me.

Forgetting the camera is standard operating procedure. That and sharpen you knife then forget it on the counter where you was using the sharpener because soemthing distracted you at the last minute.

Good luck.

1" group at 60 yds that is some great groups " CONGRATS " :partyman:

AWSOME SHOOTING I'M GLAD THE 300GR BULLETS WORKED OUT FOR YOU YOU SHOLD HAVE NO PROBBLEM PUTTING MEAT IN THE FREEEEEZER THIS YEAR. :yeah:

GOOD LUCK HOPE YOU GET A GIANT!!!

EXPECT TO SEE PICS OF YOUR KILL

LUNGBUSTER1

there will at least be kill pics , the cell phone i am borowing for deer hunting has a mega pixel or 2 camera in it . might get a cheap throw away film camera for some better pics . those t/c shockwaves are awsome , i wish i would have had the time to dig thought the backstop and recover a bullet or two to compare to the powerbelt . the only thing with the t/c bullets is i they load hard , but not that bad if i swab the barrel . it was odd looking at the HUGE wholes my fathers mossberg 500 12 gauge left compared to my muzzle loader , but his groups were good . he has a rifled barrel and 4x shotgun scope . nice gun , but kicks like a mule . i cant wait for thursday my father is going to hunt the field this year , and im going to get his old spot were he got a 6 point one year and lost a big doe due to a misfire of a federal sabot slug .he never had one do it before then or after it was realy goofy .

edit : opps forgot to say thanks , i guess my groups were better than i thought , thanks for the bullet recomedation guys !

Matt,

The Cutco knife you have features the double d edge. It is what Cutco is famous for. Each serration features three edges all of which are sharpened. You will be surprised at how sharp it is and how long it will hold it's edge. I use the whole set in my kitchen and butcher lots of game with them.

have you had to get your sharpend before ? it is a nice knife ,and is realy sharp . i think i will bring it along with my folding knife and use the folder if the cutco is too big once i get inside the deer .we have the full kichen set and love it , they seem to be very nice , was just wondering how they would hold up in the field .

I have two sets and have sent only one of them back for sharpening. I also sent one of the knives that my wife broke the tip off and they sent us back a new one free of charge. I think you'll be surprised how many deer you can cut up with that knife. It is a little larger than I like for processing though. Make sure to cut shallow in the stomach area!
Good Luck!

i just got back form the store i got the cva from to get some cleaning patches and a pair of wool gloves for hunting. one of the workers in the store recomeded remoil , it was $1.82 go i got some . is this ok to use as long as i clean it out before i go hunting ? also the owner asked if i was happy with the cva told him how well it shot and he was glad . i realy like that store . i also got my permits , res deer and a doe tag .

the weather man said thursday was going to be rain mixed with snow , how reliable will my gun be ? is there any thing i could make to cover the breech to keep it dry ?

MATTHEW- H

The rem oil will be just fine.

AS FAR AS COVERING YOUR BREECH AREA JUST TAKE A PEACE OF DUCKT TAPE TO COVER IT MAKE SURE THAT YOU DON'T COVER THE SLOT WERE YOUR BOLT SLIDES IF YOU DO IT COULD STOP YOUR BOLT FROM STIKING THE PRIMER HARD ENOUGH TO SET IT OFF. THE COMPRESHON FROM YOUR PRIMER WILL BLOW THE TAPE LOOSE FOR A RELOAD.

ALSO GET YOU SOME FINGER COTS FROM ANY DRUG STORE TO PUT OVER THE END OF YOUR BARRLE THIS SHOULD COME AS CLOSE TO TOTALY WATER PRUFFING YOUR GUN AS YOU CAN GET.

PS - YOU CAN SHOOT RIGHT THROUGH THE FINGER COT YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT TRYING TO TAKE IT OFF BEFOR YOU SHOOT.

BUT REMEMBER TO TAKE IT OFF AFTER YOUR HUNTS BECOUSE IT MAY TRAP A LITTLE MOISTER UNDER IT AND COULD CAUSE A LITTLE LITE BARRLE RUST.

BUT THE TAPE AND FINGGER COT IS WHAT I USE IN RAIN AND SNOW

RON LB1

thanks for the tips , ive also heard that elctric tape over the muzzle would work , is that true ?

YES IT WILL BUT I LIKE THE FINGGER COTS BECOUSE THEY FIT SNUG AND LESS CHANCE OF SNAGGING ON A BRANCH AND PULLING OFF.

THEY ARE CHEAP 2 OR 3 BUCKS FOR A BOX OF 25 OR 50 CAN'T REMEMBER HOW MAY COME IN A BOX.

i am so exited about deer season i have not been able to sleep at all .it realy sucks , but i did the same thing last year lol. got my gear all around and my CVA buckhorn is loaded , but not primed . i cant wait .

well i didnt see any thing all morning , and got completly soaked . it rained and snowed hard it was nasty . at around 2 we went back out saw a few goign in but were not on the property yet ,but the doe was . so at around 4:30 , still cold from the morning , i called my dad up and said i was going in he said he was too because he lost his flash light . on our way out a good sized doe was brodside at about 35 yards up a big hill half way . i told my dad to shoot , he had a tree in his way and told me to take the shot . i aimed for the shoulder and pulled the triger . the deer slouched to the left and took off runing . i swear i seen it hit thought my scope , but we could not find any blood or hair . we looked for at leat 45 min to try and find any blood but could not .the deer ran onto another guyds property that we could not go onto because he dose not like us . it was geting dark and we didnt want to push the deer incause it was hit , we are going to look for her tomorrow . my dad thinks i missed completly , and most likely i did but just incase we wil search for her tomorow.maybe she will doulbe back to were we can find it ,but i most likey yanked the trigger and missed.

:D

JUST CHEKING TO SEE IF YOU FOUND THE DOE

BUT NOW YOU KNOW THAT YOUR GUN WILL FIRE UNDER WET COND.

we could not find any sign that i hit the doe , my dad said i was realy shaky and that i yanked the triger hard . he said i shot in front of or just under her . we went out agin friday but did not see any thing . we were going to go this morning but we felt like crap .will go agin all day sun . i hope it was a clean miss on that doe .

Matthew

Down here in Indiana the tradition is if you miss your hunting partner gets to cut your shirt tail off letting every body know that you missed a deer .
I HAVE A CLOSET FULL OF SHIRTS WITH OUT TAILS from when I fierst started deer hunting. LOL :D

But all jokes aside sorry to here you missed one BUT we all have great conv. in ya. you'll get one before seasons end.

good luck and safe shooting

RON G.
LB1

Latest posts

Back