New to muzzleloading

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muleylover

Reaction score
Hello, I just purchased a Thompson Encore muzzy for an elk in NM. I am trying to get an idea on what kind of load to shoot. I am looking for something out to about 200 yds that is still fairly flat and has enough knockdown power for a bull elk. I bought some 270 gr. powerbelt platinums but looking at the ballistics for the round out that far looks a little low on the energy side of things. Someone recommended the 338 gr powerbelts. Just looking for some advice and a place to start. Thanks.

I'm thinking you don't HAVE to use a conical such as a Powerbelt in NM..If you don't I'd probably use a 300gr SST/Shockwave. It will shoot pretty flat and retain plenty of energy..

muleylover:

FIRST OFF LET ME WECOME YOU TO THE FORUM GLAD YOU JOINED US YOU WILL FIND SOME REALLY GREAT GUYS AND ADVICE HERE!!!!!! :D

DITTOW ON WHAT BIG6X6 SAID AND ALSO MAY WANT TO TRY THE KNIGHT SPITFIRE TMZ W/ E-Z LOAD SABOT IN 290GR WITCH IS MADE BY BARNS WITH 110GR OF 777 LOOSE POWDER.

LUNGBUSTER1

Thanks for the advice, I am going to start shooting this weekend and just looking for a place to start. I am sure I will have more questions. Thanks

Try .452/300 grain XTP's in a crushrib sabot, other than the powerbelts I doubt if you will get the Encore to shoot conicals, at least thats been my experience with my Encore.

Back