New to powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowanna

Stupidity knows no bounds but knows many people!
Supporting member
Reaction score
I've been toying with muzzleloaders for 20 some years now but have always used pellets and recently decided to go to loose powder.
Being new to this I have my first (probably one of many) questions.
I understand in my .50 cal I can use FFg or FFFg and I know the difference is the size of the grains of powder. Question is: is one better than the other, or what are the advantages of one over the other.
Going today to buy my first bottle of loose triple 7 (bh209 to rich for my blood) and plan on shooting this weekend. Any help would be great!

Each rifle is different as to what powder and bullet you are shooting. But I would try 2F first. If you find that 80gr of 2F gives you good accuracy. 70gr of 3F should get you in the same ballpark as far as velocity but may give you better accuracy. Only shooting both will tell you for sure.

Ed’s advice is right on as usual. Both will work for you in your .50.

The vast majority use 2F in the .50s. In a .45, lots use 3F. I use 2F in all my .50s. Some of my .45s like 2F and some like 3F.

If I were you I’d buy some 2F and give it a try.

Hodgdon publishes load data for both granulations for .45 and .50.

667AA0A3-32F8-4FDD-B30A-EB5CB42B1A58.jpeg

I use T7 fffg at the range instead of BH209 in my Accura V2 .50. I have ffg as well, but the finer granulation seems to burn cleaner, and I get much more consistent accuracy when using identical components like bullets, sabots and primers. Personally, I think that 3f is closer to BH209 powder in term of energy and bullet speed but haven't run any of the loads past a chrono.

Guns shoot different powders different from similar guns and calibers. People's observations and opinions differ as well, so, as mentioned, you're best off trying each and making your own assessment.

Some folks run 3F in larger bores not traditionally associated with 3F.

I use 3F in 50-58 cal.

There have been some tests done with the conclusion being that 2F is more efficient in the larger bores which will net higher muzzle velocities but the difference is quite small to me.

Ed’s advice is right on as usual. Both will work for you in your .50.

The vast majority use 2F in the .50s. In a .45, lots use 3F. I use 2F in all my .50s. Some of my .45s like 2F and some like 3F.

If I were you I’d buy some 2F and give it a try.

Hodgdon publishes load data for both granulations for .45 and .50.

View attachment 31789
Heck El D, if nobody else replied except for Ed & you, He would still be in great shape. You two covered everything he'd need to know to get started safely.

Different Sabots will also effect group size, you might want to pick up a couple different kinds also..
My Traditions Pursuit seems to like Smackdown carnivore with 120 g triple7 pellets(1 1/2" group at 100) Really wanting to go bullet to bore but with changing propellants I'll start from scratch.

Well y'all, I got to the Sportsman's Warehouse and didn't know whether to **** or go blind so I bought a bottle of each. I'm sure I'm gonna feel the same way come Saturday at the range when I try to decide which one first. Think what I'll do is hold a bottle in each hand and have my grandkids pick a hand and that's the one I'll take! Simple enough and they like helping grandpa.

I shot 2f for years until an older gentleman I knew, gave me about 5 or 6 pounds of Goex 3f.
When I ran low on 2f, I started using the 3f. I use it in guns from 45 to 54 caliber with good results. I burn mostly Swiss these days as Goex went out of business.
I also have Triple 7 in 2 and 3f but my guns seem to shoot better with the T7 2f for some reason.

Gotta love the grand kids!! Use a whitness mark and be extra careful with an audience of any kind. Stay focused on the matter at hand and have an enjoyable muzzle loading session that everyone will cherish…
Thanx Shorty,
Usually I'm by myself, the bunch (my son's, wives and 4 grandkids) all came with me about a year ago and they had decided that there's just not enough action for their taste, BUT.. when we break out the modern rifles ya can't beat 'em off with a stick.
My range rod already has several different color stripes for different combinations, I guess it'll be needin' a few more.

I've been toying with muzzleloaders for 20 some years now but have always used pellets and recently decided to go to loose powder.
Being new to this I have my first (probably one of many) questions.
I understand in my .50 cal I can use FFg or FFFg and I know the difference is the size of the grains of powder. Question is: is one better than the other, or what are the advantages of one over the other.
Going today to buy my first bottle of loose triple 7 (bh209 to rich for my blood) and plan on shooting this weekend. Any help would be great!
Thanks for the question, I'm new all the way around and this is good!

Latest posts

Back