New to the Forum

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bones816

Reaction score
Hey guys, new guy here. I just ordered a new CVA Accura PR and have been doing some reading and found this site. I’m looking forward to learning more about muzzle loading. I’m recovering from hip arthroscopy so I have some time on my hands.
I built a .45 Dixie back in ‘76 I think, still have it but I think it’s pretty much toast. I killed a buck with it in ‘77, several years before the muzzle loader season was started here in Wisconsin. I have a TC Black Diamond too but I’ll be selling that I think. I’ll probably put it in the classifieds here after I get the required 25 posts. Also have a .50 TC Hawken that my dad made that is totally cherry and a .45 pistol too! That’s never even been fired I don’t think.
I’ve been a regular on Archery talk for 7-8 years. Looking forward to gaining tons of knowledge about muzzle loading!
By the way, is it one word or two?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome and Merry Christmas Bones816. Lots of info and super helpful people here. Enjoy.

I currently have a Redfield Widefield 2x7 on it and somewhere I have a Red Dot that used to be on it.

Welcome & I believe that you will really enjoy your new CVA. We have 3 and use the Barnes 250 gr T-EZ bullets. My grandson took this deer which was his 1st ever with my V2 and it was the 1st time he ever shot a BP rifle. They are very accurate.

fyhHs7vl.jpg

did you get the nitride model

Also I might have missed it but what powder do you shoot, If it is Blackhorn 209 you will have to buy the Blackhorn 209 Breech Plug for it. CVA breech plugs last a good while for me and I shoot 110 to 115 grains of Blackhorn.

When you get your CVA post back and let us know if it is relatively clean in the breech area after shooting it. Also generally how you like the gun.

Good luck with it

Travis299 said:
Welcome & I believe that you will really enjoy your new CVA. We have 3 and use the Barnes 250 gr T-EZ bullets. My grandson took this deer which was his 1st ever with my V2 and it was the 1st time he ever shot a BP rifle. They are very accurate.

fyhHs7vl.jpg

Travis, that's a great buck for your grandson! Congrats!

d.winsor said:
did you get the nitride model

Also I might have missed it but what powder do you shoot, If it is Blackhorn 209 you will have to buy the Blackhorn 209 Breech Plug for it. CVA breech plugs last a good while for me and I shoot 110 to 115 grains of Blackhorn.

When you get your CVA post back and let us know if it is relatively clean in the breech area after shooting it. Also generally how you like the gun.

Good luck with it

d. winsor, yes, I got the Nitride treated Bergara barrel, 28" fluted. I have not decided what I'm going to use in it! I have 777 .50 pellets and I have 777 loose powder. I am looking at the 777 Magnum pellets right now but I must say this, the Black Horn 209 sure seems to be the most popular choice from what I've read to this point.

Bones....you'll need to order a blackhorn plug for the gun, but I think you should and at least give the blackhorn powder a try before you set anything in stone charge-wise.

Ok guys, give me your best! WHY should I use Black Horn 209 and not 777 FFg? What are the benefits? What is the downside of the 777 FFg? Is everyone staying away from the 777 pellets so they can get specific charges?

But you have to use more expensive solvents to clean up, right?

If you do try Blackhorn 209 powder with the CVA get you a 1/8" drill bit, wrap enough Gorilla tape around the shank so you can grip it firmly. Then I like to use the bit after every 3 to 6 shots to clean out carbon that accumulates in the Flash tube (area under where the primer sits). If you don't it will get to the point your breech plug will be filled up with carbon and cause problems with ignition and you will need a electric drill, starting with smaller bits to clear it. One thing to remember is don't apply too much pressure and cut metal from your flash hole area. I like to take the plug when it is new and put the tape at the point on the shank that marks the depth of the breech plug Flash tube, that way you have something to gauge it by.
You don't have do the drill bit thing with other powders.
Personally for cleaning the Flash tube, I use these http://www.plugcleaner.com/images/Instr ... CH-web.pdf The manufacture does not sell them themselves anymore but CVA has a contract with them and does sell it for their guns, Myself I think it is worth the money but the manufacture use to sell them cheaper. CVA sells the 1/8" unit, I use same size for my Traditions, and T/C muzzleloaders. You will never cut into a flash hole with one, no matter how much pressure you apply.
Measure your breech plug Flash hole, through out the shooting season & occasionally measure it if you shoot a lot. when the size of the hole grows from the new measurement to + .003 or .004 replace it. Otherwise at some point you will start having problems with your rifle grouping, for no apparent reason.
CVA will tell you to use their breech plug grease on the breech plug, many people use different breech lubes or never seize, Myself since 1984 I have used Teflon tape, at first on the cap plugs for caplock guns because they would be hard to get off after shooting, then on breech plugs. If you ever have to dump a load and that powder gets all in the grease it is a mess to clean up. Also I find the breech plugs nasty to clean when using grease or never seize. I have never heard of anyone that used Teflon tape to complain about a stuck breech plug. I use 2 wraps of the white Teflon on a CVA type Breech plug.
Since you shoot Barnes TMZ or TEZ you will need this to keep from damaging the bullet as you load it: https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/ ... ez-aligner
If you shoot pellet powder you can use the original Breech plug. You can use the Blackhorn 209 Breech plug for regular powder supplements, or Blackhorn.
When primarily trying to develop a group with a bullet, my personal opinion is that you will have more options in developing a load with powder supplements. You can vary your powder loads 5 grains at a time up or down to try to get a bullet to group. You can't do that with pellets, maybe start at 90 grains and work up to 110 or 115 grains. When you get a good group, keep adding 5 grains more until your group starts to open up or you reach the maximum charge for the gun, if you like it that hot.
Also you can vary Sabots, the primer and the bullet if necessary to develop your load.
I don't know what you use for cleaning but I use Hopp's Elite Gun Cleaner and Slip 2000 gun lube for all types of guns and all types of black powder substitutes and Modern guns & smokeless powder. I have use these cleaners for years with great success, If you do shoot Blackhorn 209 use cleaners and lubes for smokeless guns, T7 cleaners and such will not cut it.
One last thing when you are developing a load clean your gun between shots, you will get more consistent results. For T7 & such I like to use a solvent patch, dry patch, lube patch, & dry patch. With Blackhorn you do not have to do that, I am a creature of habit and it makes me feel good so I clean between shots with BH 209.
Everyone has their own cleaning regiment if they feel the need to clean between shots, you will probably develop your own if you clean between shots. Shooting t7 you will probably have to clean it every 3 to 4 shots anyway.

Copy that d.winsor. Thanks. I'll have to do some thinking about it and I have time. Didn't even receive the rifle yet as they are waiting for the Vortex to arrive.

Bones816 said:
Copy that d.winsor. Thanks. I'll have to do some thinking about it and I have time. Didn't even receive the rifle yet as they are waiting for the Vortex to arrive.

Are you getting a Accura PR or a Vortex, it doesn't really matter as all the information would be valid for both guns.

Sorry for the confusion! Accura PR with a Vortex 3x9 scope. I ordered it from muzzle loaders.com and the scope was out of stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CVA makes a great gun you should be more than happy with it. If you play around and find what it likes it should really shoot good. I have been shooting a CVA Optima V2 for the last 2 or 3yrs and I have a Wolf my son has been shooting. Both of the CVA’s shoot great. My son turned 16 this year and he has grown about a foot the last year so this year I decided this year to give him my Optima V2 thumbhole because the Wolf was so little for him. As good as the CVA’s have shot I almost bought the Accura also. I looked it over pretty hard but I had a TC Prohunter that I have been shooting rifle barrels off of for the last couple years so I just decided to get a 50cal barrel for it instead.

I’m a little different than most of the guys on here about the powder. I shoot the 777 pellets myself and like them. With my little boy growing up and hunting with me I just didn’t trust him useing loose powder. I just figured it would be a lot safer and easier useing 777 pellets. My CVA optima V2 and TC Prohunter both really like the 777 pellets also. I can’t see either one of them doing any better with loose powder. The funny thing is they both like 3 pellets most guns I have had over the years don’t. If they didn’t shoot good with pellets I could see useing loose powder so I could come up with a load that would. But since they do shoot good on pellets it’s aweful easy to to grad a Tc uview speed loader with 3 loads and primers all in one and throw it in your pocket and head to the woods.

As far as crud rings go if you clean your gun like your supposed to you won’t have one. When sighting in or just shooting for fun after every shot I run 1 cleaning patch and 1 dry patch. Guess what no crud ring when I get home from shooting and clean my gun good my gun is almost clean and there is no crud ring. Now if you don’t run cleaning patches between shots and take your gun home then you’ll have a crud ring and a mess to clean up.

I have read a lot of good things about Blackhorn 209 but I haven’t tried it yet. I have also read something I don’t like about Blackhorn 209. It don’t shoot the first shot good on a clean barrel. Being just a hunter that’s really the only shot that matters to me. I don’t care if it shoots great groups with you 3rd, 4th and 5th shot and you don’t have to clean your gun. If I’m going to go to the range and shoot several shots all day I will use my centerfires that I reload for it’s a whole lot cheaper.

I've done 22 consecutive shots using a 77 grain weighed charge of 209, a green crush rib sabot and a 300 grain .44 cal bullet, before needing to pull the plug and clean out the flash channel and flame hole behind the primer pocket. The consecutive loads go down the pipe easy. No can do without a good wipe-out using black or the other subs.

At home I run a mop wet with Hoppes down the barrel and let it soak for 5 minutes, then wet a patch with Hoppes, run it thru and follow with several dry patches until the last one comes out clean. I run a final patch thru the bore with a little bore preserver and that's it for the barrel except the outside wipe down. The barrel from start to finish isn't a 5 minute job with 209 powder and the house doesn't smell like a bunch of pickled egg eating drunks are having a fart contest there.

Latest posts

Back