New to this, what the heck do I have?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pheonix1

Reaction score
What's up everybody? My name is Adrian. A friend recently gave me a Replica Arms Muzzle Loader. I have no idea about these guns but love the idea since I am already an avid shooter and reload my own ammo. I was given this gun about 3 weeks ago and finally got around to taking a closer look at what I have. I've tried searching the internet and have found little that I understand by way of who made my rifle, when it was made, etc. Do you know what I have and if it's safe to fire?

Attachments

• IMG_3960 web.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 273
There are two different sets of markings. I'm not sure which was added first or if they were done at the same time. I've also included some images of the entire gun. It's so long... :yeah:

Attachments

• IMG_3961 web.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_3950 web.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_3951 web.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 272
Replica Arms .45 caliber Spanish made barrel. There were or should I say used to be a lot of companies that made rifles. They purchased parts from whomever they could find them through. Some were real good some were just a put together rifle. The Spanish barrel you have was common. The max powder charge is 100 grains loose powder for them NORMALLY. In the .45 caliber they normally take a .440 ball and patch. 40 grains of 2f powder would be a good start once your sure the rifle is well cared for and safe to shoot.

The breech plug in the back end is welded normally. So leave it alone. The drum on the side also does not come off. And many times there is a clean out screw in the drum (area the nipple screws into). Over time they become almost welded in there from use. Leave them alone. If you try to take it out, normally all you accomplish is messing up the screw head.

I would clean the barrel real well. Put a bore light down it and inspect it close. If you have any doubts of the rifles integrity, take it to a gun smith and have them check it. Again, loose powder only, and small charges are the way to go. Your accuracy would seldom come at 100 grains of powder. Your max load might even be less then that.

The 3 circles is a Spanish black powder proof mark.

The symbol to the left of that is the proof house mark...Eibar Proof House

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/hearings/ ... nco_en.pdf

The 700kp/cm2 is the pressure rating. The barrel is factory marked for a maximum pressure equivalent to 9954 psi. So around 100gr by volume would be about max.

IIRC Replica Arms of Ohio was bought by Navy Arms in the 1970s.

Thank you for the quick reply! Is there any way to determine the age of the rifle and whether or not it is safe to fire? I've taken the gun completely down and am refinishing the stock, I've polished the brass and pulled the nipple off, as well as plan to oil the percussion hammer and leaf spring assembly. I did dry fire the gun and there was about 20 lbs of force needed, if not more. There is a lot of rust where nipple threads to the barrel, I'm using lacquer thinner on a Q-tip at that area and a lot of rust is present. I have not cleaned the barrel yet but will be doing that tonight. I would like to test fire the gun and plan to use the string technique :poke: for the first firing, if I get that far. This gun was a gift so I don't mind if it's only a wall hanger, but of course I'd like to shoot it if possible. Are there any specific signs I need to look for while cleaning the gun that could be an indicator of an unsafe weapon. I of course will be looking for cracks, stress, and any other signs or clues, but is there something to look for I may not know about?

I appreciate any further guidance you can provide and thanks in advance.

Well I got to the barrel last night. It is completely orange. I know this cause that's the only color liquid that I could get out of it. I'm gonna give it a vinegar bath for 24 hours to see if I can get the barrel at least cleaned up a bit better. I'm not going to shoot the gun. :nono: By the time I'm done with it I will have a nice antique to hang on my wall, even if it' isn't a classic piece. :D

Latest posts

Back