New User Needs Advice On Range Cleaning

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duurmeehr

Reaction score
I am new to muzzle loading and need some advice on range cleaning for sight in.

I have a CVA Optima V2 stainless barrel. I have been watching video's and they show running a squeezed out cleaning patch down the barrel a few times and then a dry one a few times between shots during sighting in. After this they are firing a primer once before loading and shooting the next shot.

I am assuming they are just trying to keep everything uniform from shot to shot and simulating a first shot of the day in the field conditions.

I am going to be using 777 pellets.

CVA video's don't show taking out the breech plug while doing this.

It seems to me that the cleaning patch is going to push all the debris down where the plug goes and not get out the barrel?

Can I get some advice on this please?

I am assuming they are just trying to keep everything uniform from shot to shot and simulating a first shot of the day in the field conditions.

There are other opinions but here is my $.02.

T7 will likely create a crud ring depending on your cap or primer.
For consistency I do a spit patch in between shots..
1. For your first shot snap a couple or 3 primers or caps and swab the barrel with a clean patch. And yes, I always point the barrel down so the crap can fall out of the barrel not down into the plug.

2. load, shoot

3. Now through a patch in your mouth and get it damp. Not wet but damp. Swab. If you feel a crud ring (resistance near the breach) stroke the patch back and forth over that spot until it goes away. That is until you dont feel it anymore. You may want to use a dry patch when done but I dont.

4. Swab the barrel pointing down

5. reload and shoot

repeat 3 between shots.

I do #3 with every powder, primer, cap, and projectile. The question will be what about follow up shots. My opinion is if your first bullet doesnt do the job you got problems no matter how fast you reload. Been there done that. Make sure you have a good accurate load with a proven bullet and make your first one count.

It seems to me that the cleaning patch is going to push all the debris down where the plug goes and not get out the barrel?
Yes, a little bit. A damp patch will loosen and remove the T7 crud ring that will build up on the bore where the bullet sits. Most of it will stick to the patches. Normally not that much will be left in the breech plug. Taking out the plug on a V2 is so quick and easy that you can do it in seconds to verify that its clear.(unless you really crank it tight every time, which you dont need to do) Its a good idea to shoot at the range the way you would in the field. Then you will have an idea if it is feasible and how long it’ll take.

Thanks guys.

777 was all I could find in this area on short notice, it will have to do for now.

I am going out to give it a whirl. It's a little windy but I should be able to get it acceptable I hope.

Nothing wrong with T7 imho. Cleans up easily with water, ignites fairly easily even in cold weather, readily available, performs similar to bh209 and better than some other powders, less corrosive than some powders. Iwould rather use powder but pellets work well for lots of people.

T7 granular is an excellent powder except for the crud ring, which is easily dealt with by a quick swab job. In the case of hunting, I don't think enough debris gets pushed down to the fire hole when field swabbing to make a difference in perhaps a half dozen shots. When finished with the damp patch one could always just pop a primer to be assured to flame hole gets cleared.

T7 granular, in my case the fffg granular, shoots so close to identical to an identical charge of BH209 that I can shoot either to the same point of aim in all three of my hunting guns. For some the ffg T7 does the same. It'll depend on the gun and other load components. I use BH for hunting just because I can set another load without needing to swab. At the range the T7 gets the patch after each shot and is no hassle at all. I'm sure it would noy be that much bother in the field.

One trick I picked up a few years ago is to carry some of the alcohol prep pads like they use to clean your skin before a shot. One of those ran like a wet patch will get the crud out quite well plus the alcohol dries fairly quickly so it won’t foul a second shot. I keep a few of them in my pack when shooting or hunting with a muzzleloader.

T7 granular is an excellent powder except for the crud ring, which is easily dealt with by a quick swab job. In the case of hunting, I don't think enough debris gets pushed down to the fire hole when field swabbing to make a difference in perhaps a half dozen shots.
I think that is a reasonable statement. I just try to stay consistent. Works in my head anyway.
One trick I picked up a few years ago is to carry some of the alcohol prep pads like they use to clean your skin before a shot. One of those ran like a wet patch will get the crud out quite well plus the alcohol dries fairly quickly so it won’t foul a second shot.
I like the sounds of that. Going to try it.

That alcohol prep pad is a good idea, I may have to try that one!
I picked it up a few years ago watching a video. The guy was an editor of a cowboy shooting magazine.

It works great. The only issue I have is that the current alcohol pads I have now are quite small.

I have a one year old now, Optima V2. I use White Hots.

I can get up to 4 shots between swabbing, but have settled on 3. I use Hornady Bore Driver bullets.

I keep a small hand cream container (O’keefes Working Hands) which holds patches perfectly. I pre-wet them with Simple Green or Totally Awesome. This will cut the crud ring and clean the bore between shots. I also inspect the breech plug hole after cleaning to ensure it is clear. If not, I run my torch tip cleaning tool through it. I do not fire a fouling shot/primer before loading.

I keep a pre-wet patch container in my range bag and in my possibles bag. I also use Barricade to protect the barrel afterwards.

I am new to muzzle loading and need some advice on range cleaning for sight in.

I have a CVA Optima V2 stainless barrel. I have been watching video's and they show running a squeezed out cleaning patch down the barrel a few times and then a dry one a few times between shots during sighting in. After this they are firing a primer once before loading and shooting the next shot.

CVA video's don't show taking out the breech plug while doing this.

Can I get some advice on this please?

I didn't see anyone else mention this.
You said they swabbed and then fired a primer before loading again, then asked about swabbing pushing fouling crud down ahead of the jag/swab and remaining against the breech plug.
That is the reason they fire a primer after swabbing, before loading again. It blows that crud you're talking about out and ensures there is a clear path from the back of the nipple to the next powder charge and thus prevents having a fail-to-fire. It is very common to do when swabbing. Many will point the barrel at a leaf or a dry patch they've set on the ground when they fire off the primer so they can watch for it to move, which gives confirmation the primer flame path is not blocked.

I didn't see anyone else mention this.
You said they swabbed and then fired a primer before loading again, then asked about swabbing pushing fouling crud down ahead of the jag/swab and remaining against the breech plug.
That is the reason they fire a primer after swabbing, before loading again. It blows that crud you're talking about out and ensures there is a clear path from the back of the nipple to the next powder charge and thus prevents having a fail-to-fire. It is very common to do when swabbing. Many will point the barrel at a leaf or a dry patch they've set on the ground when they fire off the primer so they can watch for it to move, which gives confirmation the primer flame path is not blocked.
I have noticed that after the four rounds fired with White Hots, the QRBP flash hole will begin crudding up. I swab barrel then remove the QRBP and visually inspect the flash hole. I’ll take a torch tip cleaner and run through the flash hole and blow it out. Re-inspect visually and replace in the breech. I’ll also take a wet patch/dry patch or rag and wipe the face of the QRBP off. It mainly crud’s the flash hole itself, but does not completely close it off.

There are other opinions but here is my $.02.

T7 will likely create a crud ring depending on your cap or primer.
For consistency I do a spit patch in between shots..
1. For your first shot snap a couple or 3 primers or caps and swab the barrel with a clean patch. And yes, I always point the barrel down so the crap can fall out of the barrel not down into the plug.

2. load, shoot

3. Now through a patch in your mouth and get it damp. Not wet but damp. Swab. If you feel a crud ring (resistance near the breach) stroke the patch back and forth over that spot until it goes away. That is until you dont feel it anymore. You may want to use a dry patch when done but I dont.

4. Swab the barrel pointing down

5. reload and shoot

repeat 3 between shots.

I do #3 with every powder, primer, cap, and projectile. The question will be what about follow up shots. My opinion is if your first bullet doesnt do the job you got problems no matter how fast you reload. Been there done that. Make sure you have a good accurate load with a proven bullet and make your first one count.
I agree but use isopropyl alcohol on the patch. dries quickly

Back