New York whitetail down

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaylex

Reaction score
Today was opening day for the New York State southern zone general firearms season. I was out at first light. At about 8:30 this morning, I was slowly stalking down a trail on a piece of property that I've hunted a number of times. Suddenly I spotted a deer standing in the trail about 70 yards out ahead of me. She was facing away from me and had no idea I was behind her. I dropped down to one knee to help steady myself if she presented a shot. As I brought the gun up to get her in the scope, she turned her head to look to her left. That was all I needed. I put the crosshairs right on her neck and slowly squeezed the trigger. When the smoke cleared, I could see her on the ground. She kicked her legs a couple times and then was still. I was pleasantly surprised when I got up to her. She was bigger than she first appeared. Should make for some good eating.

Gun used was a T/C Encore ProHunter 209X50 wearing a Nikon Buckmasters 3-9 power scope. Bullet was a 240 grain XTP ahead of 100 grains by volume of BH209. Ignited by a Winchester primer.

I've killed a number of deer with this gun. I've still got my buck tag and another doe tag so I'm going back out tomorrow to try for another. Only difference is tomorrow I'll be carrying the Omega X7 that I purchased late last year. It has yet to see the woods and I want to see if I can break it in right.

I know how everyone here loves pictures, and I wouldn't want to disappoint...

OpeningDayDoe11-17-2012resized.jpg

Very nice deer. And where you shot it, there is no wasted meat other then a neck roast (which is real good). Congratulation on a great shot and a great harvest.

Congrats on a fine looking doe and good shooting. My brother who lives in NY saw only 3 squirrels today. :cry: Oh well there's always tomorrow and the rest of the season.

nice NYS doe , still trying tag one with my X7 . Did you settle on a load for it?
Steve

sbuff said:
nice NYS doe , still trying tag one with my X7 . Did you settle on a load for it?
Steve

Hi Steve,
I didn't get to spend as much time at the range with the X7 as I had hoped due to some recent unexpected oral surgery I had done. The one time I did get it to the range, I was shooting 120 grains of Blackhorn with the 240 grain XTP. It seems to like that load just fine. At some point, I'm hoping to get back out and try some lower powder charges and maybe some Shockwave bullets. Got out in the woods for a few hours this morning but only saw one faraway deer that was on the run after being pushed by another hunter. I will say this... the X7 is a joy to carry around. It's a real featherweight compared to the scoped Encore. Thanks again for pointing me to the place with the X7. This guns a definite keeper. Just need to get some blood on it. :D
Brian

I agree 100% with everything you said about the X7. Glad I could help you find one. Its a shame TC stopped making that model ,I sure do think it would be a good seller.

I stayed home this weekend myself to hang with the wife and my daughter.

I am using the deep curls in the X7 this year.Might go back to the XTP next season as they are just slightly better in accuracy. But either bullet would work.

Wish it would be a bit colder , the long range has next weekend close to 50.
Steve

Back