Newb needs help choosing a ML for long range shooting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BuckDoeHunter said:
Nice shooting! Any wad used or just bullet on powder?

Just bullet on powder. I had to get the sizing set up correctly to get the proper seal. Once I got that it was off to the races.

Going out tomorrow to shoot at 200 and 300 and to chronograph. I'm really curious about actual real world velocity.

The fruits of my labors. Desert mule deer buck killed in Arizona Unit 35 on December 29th. It was the 18th day of a 20 day season and he was the biggest buck I saw the whole hunt. I passed on at least 8 other bucks till I found this guy. He's not a monster but I'm damn proud of him and the hunt. The shot was at 130 yards in blowing snow. I had to reload and anchor him with a second shot. I am very pleased with the muzzle loader Luke from Arrowhead Sporting Goods of Iowa built me. I have every confidence in this rifle and for good reason!

Congrads on the nice Muley buck!

I have always wanted to go for a Muley. Maybe some day.

WV Hunter said:
That's a nice one, congrats! :D

Did you ever shoot the gun at 200 & 300? Curious how it did.

Yes I shot it at 200 and 300 and it shot very, very well. It was just about MOA at those distances and we got the dope figured out perfectly so it tracked with my scope 100%. Turns out I didn't need that data but it was a huge confidence boost to know I could do it if needed.

ShawnT said:
Congrads on the nice Muley buck!

I have always wanted to go for a Muley. Maybe some day.

THANKS! A mature mule is a hard deer to find...gotten even tougher over the years. Hard to get drawn, and hard to kill a big un. But worth the trouble IMO.

GunLobbyist said:
I was drawn for an excellent ML hunt in AZ and need to decide on a gun. It's primarily a wide open country mule deer hunt right in the middle of the rut. Shots will likely be 200 yards+ so I need to find the most accurate rifle I can afford. I already have a top of the line scope (Leupold VX7) I will use, so I can put more $$$ in the rifle. I guess I will go as high as $1,000 if I must (maybe a bit more). (I'm gonna have to sell a centerfire rifle to fund this deal :shock:)

I just started looking at guns online in the past few days and I am struck by how few choices there seem to be (what am I missing?) and I'm already confused trying to learn. I am a very experienced centerfire rifle hunter, but not a ML hunter.

I am thinking of a Knight, a TC or maybe a used Savage Model 10 (but the prices I have seen are VERY high for Savages I'm assuming because they are discontinued and desireable).

So here is my first set of questions:

1) Which of the Knight rifles is likely to be the most accurate with a given load?
2) Is that Knight Ultra-Lite too light to shoot comfortably? I assume I will need to shoot quite a bit at the range to get used to it and sight in and a 6LB rifle shooting 300 grain bullets seems like it might really be uncomfortable to shoot enough to become proficient.
3) How about the TC selections? The Pro-Hunter FX looks interesting and may be easier to clean.

One option is I may be able to borrow a Savage M10 for the season and just use that...but I do like the idea of getting into a new hunting discipline and the excuse to buy a new gun!

Ok so have at the newbie...forgive me if i am repeating questions that have been asked by others, but I have a lot to learn in a short(ish) amount of time. Hunt is in December.

GL
With a budget of around $300.00 you should not have any problem finding a good scope. The Leupold with 3.7 inches of relief at its highest magnification and 4.2 inches at its may not be your best choice. Might I suggest the Nikon Inline XR with its longer eye relief? Plus it is around $100.00 cheaper than the Leupold. Please understand the Leupold is a very good scope but you probably would be better off with the Nikon Inline XR with its better eye relief requirement.

If I remember correctly DNZ still offers a one piece mount better suited for a 4 inch eye relief scope. If you want to go all the way there is the Zeiss Conquest 3 x 9 x 40 scope.

donparadowski said:
GunLobbyist said:
I was drawn for an excellent ML hunt in AZ and need to decide on a gun. It's primarily a wide open country mule deer hunt right in the middle of the rut. Shots will likely be 200 yards+ so I need to find the most accurate rifle I can afford. I already have a top of the line scope (Leupold VX7) I will use, so I can put more $$$ in the rifle. I guess I will go as high as $1,000 if I must (maybe a bit more). (I'm gonna have to sell a centerfire rifle to fund this deal :shock:)

I just started looking at guns online in the past few days and I am struck by how few choices there seem to be (what am I missing?) and I'm already confused trying to learn. I am a very experienced centerfire rifle hunter, but not a ML hunter.

I am thinking of a Knight, a TC or maybe a used Savage Model 10 (but the prices I have seen are VERY high for Savages I'm assuming because they are discontinued and desireable).

So here is my first set of questions:

1) Which of the Knight rifles is likely to be the most accurate with a given load?
2) Is that Knight Ultra-Lite too light to shoot comfortably? I assume I will need to shoot quite a bit at the range to get used to it and sight in and a 6LB rifle shooting 300 grain bullets seems like it might really be uncomfortable to shoot enough to become proficient.
3) How about the TC selections? The Pro-Hunter FX looks interesting and may be easier to clean.

One option is I may be able to borrow a Savage M10 for the season and just use that...but I do like the idea of getting into a new hunting discipline and the excuse to buy a new gun!

Ok so have at the newbie...forgive me if i am repeating questions that have been asked by others, but I have a lot to learn in a short(ish) amount of time. Hunt is in December.

GL
With a budget of around $300.00 you should not have any problem finding a good scope. The Leupold with 3.7 inches of relief at its highest magnification and 4.2 inches at its lowest may not be your best choice. Might I suggest the Nikon Inline XR with its longer eye relief? Plus it is around $100.00 cheaper than the Leupold. Please understand the Leupold is a very good scope but you probably would be better off with the Nikon Inline XR with its better eye relief requirement.

If I remember correctly DNZ still offers a one piece mount better suited for a 4 inch eye relief scope. If you want to go all the way there is the Zeiss Conquest 3 x 9 x 40 scope.

Back