Newb needs help choosing a ML for long range shooting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stand corrected. Looks like you have the tools and past experiences to probably get a muzzleloader shooting well at long range. And the money. You are going to drop some coin to get that rig. Power to you. Not my cup of tea, but I am sure there are people out there who can help you. Get a big-un!

Gunlobbist,
You will not go wrong dealing with luke at arrowhead. Only suggestion i have is with blackhorn ive had best luck smooth forming parker bullets especially the 270 emax and 275 match hunter.

That rifle should be a great shooter :yeah:

I've got one Rem 700ML converted and will be working on another in a few weeks, most likely with a Brux barrel.

I've never shot BH209 thru mine but have read many good reports from those that have.

The only negative I can think of is weight, mine will most likely tip the scales at 13+lbs when done, that Brux barrel is heavy. My McRem is 11lbs.

Post some info and photos on here when u get it, a range report would be good too.

Well my new rifle, die, bullets and other supplies will be here from Luke sometime tomorrow. I will post range reports once I test it. Hopefully this weekend. Here is a pic he sent me:

Rite on if need any help with blackhorn in it feel free to ask. Ive shot alot of it in 45 sabotless and they will shoot.

I think you will enjoy shooting that rig sabotless with BH209. It does well in my Pacnor 45 and SuperDISC.

BuckDoeHunter said:
Very nice! :yeah:

Remington 700ML action but what other goodies do you have there?

Brux barrel, Jewell trigger, Bell and Carlson stock and Murphy 0 MOA picatinny base

I can't wait to get my mitts on it! Should be here today!

GM54-120 said:
I think you will enjoy shooting that rig sabotless with BH209. It does well in my Pacnor 45 and SuperDISC.

I hope so...just hoping I can find a load it likes without too much struggle. But we will see.

Gonna start with 90Gr BH209 with a 310 gr ASG bullet

bestill said:
Rite on if need any help with blackhorn in it feel free to ask. Ive shot alot of it in 45 sabotless and they will shoot.

I may need help, we will see after I shoot it hopefully this weekend, if the weather cooperates.

Lukes 310s are 458s correct?...Did you get a full form sizing die because a 458 is too large for smooth dies. The regular adjustable dies require a .452 or less IIRC.

I shoot between 84gr to 90gr by weight in mine. If i want more speed i use those "other powders" because they are legal here. :D

Caution this load data is for custom builds and exceeds Western Powders max load data.

Custom build load only!!!!
95 gr volume and .060 veggie wad with federal209 a and smooth form parker for hunting300 match hunter and paper killing275 ballistic extreme or 270 emax.
Load ballistic extreme and emax fairly loose one hand load the match hunter takes a little tighter fit same as hornady sst or ftx.
The asg will shoot but i haven't had great luck with fullform and blackhorn but definitely deer accurate and devastating bullet.
One damp hoppes 9 and 2 dry patches between shots.
A clean dry bore will shoot1 moa higher than fouled blackhorn barrel..
Clean sizing lube off bullet with brakleen or dawn soap and hot water.
Remember in humid environment blackhorn will fouling with start corrosion quickly

GunLobbyist said:
BuckDoeHunter said:
Very nice! :yeah:

Remington 700ML action but what other goodies do you have there?

Brux barrel, Jewell trigger, Bell and Carlson stock and Murphy 0 MOA picatinny base

I can't wait to get my mitts on it! Should be here today!

:partyman: Very VERY NICE! :partyman: Congrats!

GM54-120 said:
Lukes 310s are 458s correct?...Did you get a full form sizing die because a 458 is too large for smooth dies. The regular adjustable dies require a .452 or less IIRC.

I shoot between 84gr to 90gr by weight in mine. If i want more speed i use those "other powders" because they are legal here. :D

Caution this load data is for custom builds and exceeds Western Powders max load data.

Yes 310grain ASGs He suggested 95 grains of BH209. I have a full form sizing die ( which I am learning about :shock: )

First trip the range was complete bust. I squeezed the bullets down and made them too loose to create a proper seal. So I had a squib, and had to take the breech plug out to push the bullet and powder out. I had driven 30 miles to the range and didn't have the tools to remove the plug, what pain! :lol:

Now I have a complete tool kit set up and am building a receiver hitch adapter for my Rock Chucker so I can size bullets at the range.

Live and learn!

Get some .460x.060 fiber wads, also called veggie wads. They are cheap and help to create a better seal for ignition. My smooth sized bullets load very easily and i have no ignition issues yet. The undersized bullet might not be a waste. You can roll them under a file. This will raise the OD a tiny bit. Typically this is used for smooth sizing but it might work on full formed that were sized too small.

I do it like this BUT i put down a piece of hard press wool felt on the table first.
[youtube]NncCcscSQa8[/youtube]

GM54-120 said:
Get some .460x.060 fiber wads, also called veggie wads. They are cheap and help to create a better seal for ignition. My smooth sized bullets load very easily and i have no ignition issues yet. The undersized bullet might not be a waste. You can roll them under a file. This will raise the OD a tiny bit. Typically this is used for smooth sizing but it might work on full formed that were sized too small.

I do it like this BUT i put down a piece of hard press wool felt on the table first.
[youtube]NncCcscSQa8[/youtube]

That's really cool. I was trying to decide what to do with the bullets I messed up.mI amy roll them and use them for sighters or plinking.

Thanks!

Results from my second trip to the range. Got the proper bullet size setting worked out. I shot this .3" 100 yard group with the 310gr ASG with 95gr of BH209.

It took a little work but got it right after a bit.

Note the receiver hitch press for bullet sizing.

Next trip will be with the chrony and will shoot at 200 and 300 to see what we get. Luke built an amazing rifle!'

Latest posts

Back