newbie Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaskBushMan

Reaction score
Well this is my first post but I have been reading here for a few days now. Anyways I wanted to get into muzzleloading so I went to the local shop and picked up a Pursuit LT only a few days ago. I got this rifle because my father inlaw got one and it shoots great. Eventually I will check out an omega or encore but in my area $500 is the cost of the cheapest omega. So now I picked up a box of Hornady 45-250grn sst/ml bullets which is what my fatherinlaw shoots, well let me tell you I got the bullet half way down the barrel and that was it. IT took alot of grease and two of us to push the darn thing out. Why? is it a problem with my barrel? My father inlaw has no problems with them. I haven't been able to take it back to the shop because of the long weekend so I will have to wait until tuesday. Anyways if its a problem with the barrel and they have to replace it I was wondering if I should ask for a .45cal barrel? I was told that for long ranges .45cal is flatter and better. Is this true? Thanks eveybody and have a good day.

Did the bullet get stuck after firing off some shots, or the first time you pushed a projectile down the barrel? If it happened after shooting a few rounds, the bullet could hang up in the powder fouling. As for getting a .45 caliber barrel, I'd say don't do it. My first muzzie was a .45 and a royal pain in the butt. :x You have alot more options with .50 caliber.

The bullet got stuck after you had shot the rifle a time or two and you were trying to seat another bullet? If THAT'S the case...try spitpatching between shots. That's caused by powder residue. Spitpatching removes this residue and allows easy bullet seating..

NO the bullet got stuck the first time I ever tried putting a bullet down the barrel. Is that normal it wasn't for my father in laws gun, which is the same gun and the same bullet.

SaskBushMan said:
NO the bullet got stuck the first time I ever tried putting a bullet down the barrel. Is that normal it wasn't for my father in laws gun, which is the same gun and the same bullet.

Okay....
Did you happen to first clean the bore of your rifle with Hoppes or similar before shooting it? Try doing that first. NEXT...You're muzzleloader may just have a tight bore. Del Ramsey at MMP has two smaller diameter sabots for shooting the 250gr SSTs(.45cal bullet in a .50cal muzzleloader, 45/50 sabot), the HPH-24 and the new 3-petal. I'd advise getting a pack of one or both of those... Click on MMPs banner at the top of our page.

Yes I did clean the bore when I took it out of the box. Anyways you I have a tight bore rather than a problem with the barrel? Will it losen up after shooting? Should I try powerbelts? thanks for the help and input.

Anyways you I have a tight bore rather than a problem with the barrel?

That's what I'm thinking. Was it hard to push down all the way or was it easy to push down then just stuck?

SaskBushMan said:
it was hard right from the get go from the bullet started all the way down.

Tight bore then... Not necessarily a bad thing. Those sabots from MMP SHOULD fix you right up. The Traditions T-Shock XLR bullet/sabots must be designed with that in mind. They are WAY too easy to seat in most of my guns. You might give them a try. I probably wouldn't go the Powerbelt route.

Will it losen up after shooting?
Probably not although some rifles do like to be "broken in" slightly. With continued shooting the bore may become "smoother" and therefore projectiles may be easier to seat but I wouldn't count on it.

Thanks for all the the help folks, the problem was the sabot it was just to thick. I tried a different sabot and it went down smooth and easy.

Back