newbie ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bp45cal

Reaction score
when using smokeless has anyone shot anything other than saybots?i have'nt seen any threads about it.
not tring 2 raise any hackels just curious

Dougs Message Board is where most of the smokeless crowd posts. Not as many saboted posts but there are some of us that post sabotless groups.

bp45cal said:
when using smokeless has anyone shot anything other than saybots?i have'nt seen any threads about it.
not tring 2 raise any hackels just curious

Savage has great warnings about shooting conical and solids. If you are going to do it I would highly suggest using BP or BH209. Otherwise invest in some pressure testing equipment and go slow. Knurling bullets in small calibers is fine and works but I would not suggest it with .50 cal.

Most of the powerbelt bullets seem to be too undersized to fit the Savage barrel so you are out of luck there.

Very few have done it in a 50cal. Bullets for the 50S&W are the best choices and there is a little bit of load data on Dougs, Savage does prohibit doing it though and without pressure tracing transducers you are in mostly uncharted territory.

Lighter 50cal bullets like 300gr for 50A&E are going to have a short bearing surface and a terrible BC so you wont gain anything other than a 50cal entrance hole. The 50-300gr FTX though might work. It works great in my 54cal sub gun in sabots. The copper Barnes options are longer for their weight but monolithic bullets can be even harder to achieve good groups. Sizing will likely be another PITA due to the small selection of sizing dies and the fairly large bore in many Savages.

Considering the pressures are likely going to be much higher than a sabotted smokeless load with the same weight bullet, i would use BH209 if you really want to give it a shot. Using BH209 ive seen it done with the 50-300gr FTX in other sub guns. Ive seen it used in 45cals and a properly sized 350gr bullet with extremely nice pressures and great accuracy.

Latest posts

Back