Nikon BDC 250

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddpipkin

Reaction score
What velocity is correct to use the BDC reticle efficiently?

Has anyone worked up a load for Barnes 250 gr. Tipped Spit-Fires, with BH209, that works right with this reticle?

Suggestions on where to start?

Thanks, Grouse.

Just to be sure, that is 110 gr. by VOLUME, correct?

Standard 28" barrel?

What circle are you using at 200? Mine is off a little. I'm not sure how adjust it. with 90g bh 209 it is on at 100 and out to 200 nit is a little high with the 3rd circle

i tried 90g and 120gr were the best out of my gun. but at 100 90g was a better group. not sure what grain i'm going to use yet :?

I guess I am lucky, I sight in for 125 and I am point and shoot out to 150, giving a little for the wind at that range.

I also have to ask, at 200 yards how many inches are you off in a 10 MPH crosswind? How about 15mph? Can you tell the difference in the field? This is just as much or more important with a muzzy at 200 yards. Please be sure to know before you start shooting at deer at 200 yards.

at 200 it is just up 2 inches with the wind 10mph to 15 mph it makes it drift about 5inches or so from what i gather. i put a upside down smile face on the target just above the bull. that was 90 gr and about 20 shots. i wish i would have kept my target to post so i could get a opinion if it was ok. i will go back out and post the results

I sight mine 2.75 inches high at 100, dead on at 160 on the first circle at 200 and I get 12 inches drift when my aeronometer measures 10 miles and hour for wind.
That is at a velocity of 2140 [average] and shooting a 250gr SW. Lee

Shot mine with the iron sights at 100, got @ 3" groups with these old eyes at dusk. That was with 70gr. BH 209 by weight, and with 75gr. and 80gr. Could definitely tell the difference in recoil and velocity at each step!

Got my Nikon mounted today, can't get to the range until Friday.

Since the BDC reticle is calibrated for a 150gr. (volume) load of true black and most bp substitutes, and BlackHorn says that 120gr. (volume) of BH209 is equivalent to 150gr. (volume) of those, and BlackHorn also says that to convert volumetric charges to weighed charges, use a multiplier of 0.7.....

The first load I am going to try with the scope is 84gr. (weight) of BH209.

I'll let you know how it does.

Latest posts

Back