Nitride Barrels

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperKirby

Reaction score
The nitride barrel on muzzleloaders has been a thing for a few years now. For those that have experience with one, has it changed how you treat your gun? It's my understanding that the nitride process effectively doesn't rust and is impervious to chemicals. In my mind that would make cleaning after shooting more of a suggestion and less of a necessity. Is there truth to that? Or is the nitride treatment more aesthetic in your mind and doesn't ultimately change what needs to be done after shooting?

None of my guns have the nitride and if they did they'd still get cleaned as soon as possible after shooting. I was taught to take care on my guns when I use them and I am a hard and fast believer that if I take care of them they'll take care of what I need them for. Its an old, old habit and not getting set aside.

Absolutely what mr.Tom said. All parts are not nitrited, just the barrels, (and actions on bolt guns). Good gun maintenance is a good habit.

I've got a nitrided arrowhead muzzleloader I need to test. Really a beautiful finish. Was going to shoot it on Wednesday, but didn't remember to grab the case it was in when I headed to the range. Had 5 guns to shoot and didn't remember the one I wanted to shoot the most. :(

If it improves durability like advertised, I may never clean a gun again.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 7.40.19 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 7.40.19 AM.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 21
That Murphy guy seems to spend a lot of time around this place. :(
I may be speaking a little soon but, my stock is being delivered today :)
Thats wonderful !!! Now just remember to play nice !!! Lol !!! That the one you had repaired ??

My optima V2 has a nitride barrel. It still gets dirty after shooting like any barrel so I clean it. Like Tom said it's how we were taught. I don't want a uncleaned gun in the safe!

My optima V2 has a nitride barrel. It still gets dirty after shooting like any barrel so I clean it. Like Tom said it's how we were taught. I don't want a uncleaned gun in the safe!
Carefull now , you could start a resurgence of that "common sense" thing.......

The nitride barrel cost more than the stainless. Intentionally paid more for the specific reason of leaving the barrel fouled. The rifle was intended for shooting land riding bullets. One reads on the web how the land riding bullets are sized different for clean, and fouled barrels. This may be true for those using smokeless powder. However, experience is limited, but when using Blackhorn powder the land riding bullets can be sized the exact same for clean or fouled barrels. Early testing indicates, the first shot whether from a cold clean barrel, or a cold fouled barrel seem to fly high.

Turns out there may be no good reason to leave the barrel fouled, when shooting the land riding bullets, and Blackhorn powder. Too early to tell.............

Whenever the rifle is brought home, and left uncleaned, it feels wrong. However, it can be done, if one is stubborn. The rifle is out in the shop as this is being written; loaded, and dirty from two previous days of shooting. Yes, loaded, and dirty. Sure feels weird.

Normally when hunting, and shooting the rifle at a deer, the rifle is immediately reloaded in case another shot is needed. Normally the second shot is not required, and thus the rifle needs to be fired at nothing before heading home, so it can be cleaned. Perhaps now if one is hunting with a nitride barrel, one can leave the rifle, fouled by the one shot, loaded, uncleaned for the duration of the season. Seems like that would be difficult. Perhaps we shall see.

To some eyes, the nitride barrel is prettier than the stainless. The matte scope sure looks nice on the nitride barrel; they just go together.

I have the nitride finish on two rifles CVA,Black Horn does stain a little ,, I like the treatment,, in the future I will choose always, I have become a cleaning freak , but only because I never just shoot a few bullets it's always a lot

No, it did not need to be repaired. It was modified for a front rail so I can use the Atlas 5H bipod.
Oh yea thats right ...sorry !!!! I remembered it was for something important . Youll be all set to rock --n-- roll now !!!

If one has a rifle with a lot of blow by, one has to clean it after shooting; do they not? If one shoots without blow by, the action doesn't get dirty; the rifle with the nitride barrel doesn't need cleaned. If one shoots many shots, the breech plug needs cleaned; may as well, clean the nitride barrel too.........

I clean my guns regardless of claims it not being necessary, just like the rest of my tools....

I have been dealing with nitride hydraulic cylinder pins on arial man lifts for years now, no grease fittings on them . when i have to remove a pin I always have to use a broco torch to blow a big hole in it to get it out, when the pin comes out i have to say they are not that badly corroded , however they will rust over time, but i bet stainless pin would be worse for wear.so l say it’s definitely worth the money, but i chose the stainless barrel on my 45 ultra lite because i shoot on a clean barrel and always clean up afterwards and i like the stainless look, but when I got my cva mr I really like the finish of the nitride and wish I would have got the knight that way.

The paperwork that came with my CVA says that you can delay cleaning of the barrel for up to a week. I don't think that I like that idea.
Dennis

I have been dealing with nitride hydraulic cylinder pins on arial man lifts for years now, no grease fittings on them . when i have to remove a pin I always have to use a broco torch to blow a big hole in it to get it out, when the pin comes out i have to say they are not that badly corroded , however they will rust over time, but i bet stainless pin would be worse for wear.so l say it’s definitely worth the money, but i chose the stainless barrel on my 45 ultra lite because i shoot on a clean barrel and always clean up afterwards and i like the stainless look, but when I got my cva mr I really like the finish of the nitride and wish I would have got the knight that way.
The option would be nice if you like that look . The functional part is nice too . But i still prefer the look of stainless . I also set up my poi to be on with a clean barrel always . If i must choose i will Always choose that 1st shot to be ON . Thats the Important One . I see no point in it being done differently and to then sit out in the weather --- ever . I suppose to each their own.......... And surely not to set with the rest of them .

We have both & both get the same cleaning routine. The deer hunting is done with a clean barrel for the first shot. We use BH209 and T7 powder and never shoot without the O-Ring in the primer pocket. The CVA Accuras are accurate rifles that are, IMO, easy to maintain.

LyIDjTPh.jpg

Last edited:
Back