Nitride Barrels

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shoot a nitrided CVA V2. I begin my season hunting on a fouled barrel beginning ~1 Nov each year. After I shoot, sometimes I reload, and sometimes I don't, depending on what happens after I shoot. I have either completely cleaned the rifle, just swabbed the barrel, or left the reload in without cleaning, depending. I have gone a complete season from ~1 Nov to the first full weekend in January of the following year, without cleaning, and have experienced no rust. I love the nitirding so much, I have two Lehigh BH209 plugs that are nitrided, which I used for the first time this past season.

I'm not saying be crazy about it, but you can trust the nitride finish to the edge of common sense.

When it's not deer season I'm more anal about cleaning,, in Texas we have two months of gun hunting and and15 days of muzzleloader,,this might sound fanatical but I may miss only one to two days in that whole time that I don't hunt,,where I live in Southeast Texas in the morning it's always very wet very damp a lot of dew on the trees and grass a lot of moisture in the air, I might leave my gun loaded with blackhorn powder for three or four days I read online where guys will leave their guns loaded for 2 or 3 weeks ,, for most of the season this year I have a lot of guns to choose from but every morning and every day I kept picking up that CVA mountain rifle that shoots half inch groups with 250 furys,, and a nitride finish I'm sold on it if I have my choice always in the future buying CVA or traditions or other in- lines I'm always buying a nitride coated rifle

Thanks guys. I wasn't expecting a much different answer. Just curious if it changed the way people approached care.

I have a Traditions with a Cerakote finish that is going on 7 years old and a CVA Accura V2 I just got for Christmas (thanks Santa) that has the nitride finish, I treated my Traditions like any other gun and have always cleaned it after use regardless of number of shots and the gun still looks great. My nitride CVA will get the same treatment and I suspect it will last me a long long time and also look great for the duration. To each his own on cleaning but I’m the guy people line up to buy used stuff from because of the way I take care of my belongings...My equipment always performs well as a result, how weird. lol

I agree our gun cleaning regiments tend to follow our personality traits don't they,, I think though to some degree cleaning muzzleloaders evolves,, at least for the newbie,, if you don't clean your guns on a regular basis and you shoot them alot, I think you will become a gun cleaner,, I must confess I'm getting more fanatic,, I'm even getting where I enjoy it messed up isn't it?

Toby Bridges says the Nitride coating on the inside of the barrel causes sabot damage. Anyone experience this?

My Austin & Halleck that I modified the bolt and breech plug on to shoot BH209, I loaded opening morning. Shot a coyote about day 2 or 3 reloaded. Took a 400 yard shot at a gong just to test a ballistic calculator on about day 5, I missed horribly. Reloaded and hunted the rest of the Hunt. Utah is a nine day hunt. I don’t do this with Pyrodex or T7, but I’ll usually go a couple of days or more with a load in on a fouled stainless barrel. Haven’t seen any corrosion on the stainless barrels. I have experienced some on my blu d barrels though from that practice, or maybe it was forgetting and leaving a loaded gun in the safe for a year that did it. I have (sheepish look) done that a couple of times.in years gone by. Put the gun away after getting home late the last night of the hunt, thinking I’ll go shoot the load out tomorrow after work and then clean it. Now I always, right at dark the last night, shoot the gun into the dirt and clean it when I get home.

I have wondered more than once if you could shoot instead of clean? Obviously a patch here and there would be needed and would need to break the gun down thoroughly clean a few times a year, but if you were shooting a couple shots every day or every other day would corrosion ever have a chance to get started? I'm not saying I would do this or promoting it as an anticleaning method, just something I've wondered about.

Toby Bridges says the Nitride coating on the inside of the barrel causes sabot damage. Anyone experience this?

I can only speak to my Accura V2, but I have recovered sabots on the range that show no signs of damage when my neighbor's wife shoots 60-80 grains of BH 209 and 250 grain Barnes TEZ out of it. The same was true for when I shot my previous hunting loads of 250 grain Barnes MZ Expanders or 250 grain Knight Bloodlines with Harvester Short Black Sabots and 100 grains of BH 209, and recovered those fired sabots on my range (the black sabots are obviously harder to find than the blue ones). That said, when I shoot my current hunting load of 110 grains BH 209, 220 grain (.458) Knight Bloodlines, and orange Harvester Crush Rib sabots, I only find the bases, as the petals shear off. I believe this is due the combination of velocity (~2,083 fps) of the load leaving the barrel, and the thinness of the sabots, but that is pure conjecture on my part. Despite losing the petals, this load shots accurately and consistently for me at 100 yards. I have verified that the orange Harvesters are not damaged when loading the bullet/sabot, by removing the breech plug, and pushing the bullet/sabot through the barrel until it comes out of the breech, then inspecting the sabot. I did this because the .458 bullet took some serious effort to load, and I was concerned the petals were tearing/stretching, but it turns out they were not.

I would not put much stock in what any paid spokesperson communicates, IMHO, but that is purely my opinion.

Last edited:
Its common for the MMP orange sabots to shed petals. The petals are much thinner than most sabots for .451-.452 bullets.

Ive never seen any evidence that nitride is harder on sabots. If anything i would imagine its easier on them.

Just now browsing cva cite and they have lifetime guarantee against corrosion.
"BARREL BORE GUARANTEE
Nitride® treated barrels are guaranteed for life against rust pitting. If your
barrel ever develops permanent bore damage due to corrosion, it will be
replaced at no charge."
Im not sure that was the case when i bought my first one.

So, the nitride is on the inside of the barrel, too? I pictured it like a blued barrel, being shinny on the inside.

Can you post a link to where this was said or written, so we can read it in context? Thanks.

Back