NMLRA National Spring Shoot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentucky Colonel

Reaction score
Go git 'em, boys. 

p6Awpt.jpg

Only an hour and a half away for me.
I only shoot one match and since last fall I have had some mobility problems that affect my ability to remain on my feet very long. Might skip it this time around.

Nice range at Friendship, use to go every year from Colorado. Now the price of gas, time and distance are issues when you reach my age.  :(

Personally know a Woman that was Champion. I still keep in touch.

oneshot

Have over a dozen National Championship winner friends (several have shot in the Muzzleloading International Olympics and came home with Gold and Bronze metals each time they entered). The last time out in was in Sarlóspuszta, Hungary in 2017 they did it again. 

I had a try out for the Muzzleloading International Olympics in 1986 didn't make Team One but was on the backup team (on call if needed).

That's a cakewalk when compared to two long days or three days driving one way.  :thumb down:

I will report back when I get home. My brother will be meeting me down there this year and we have plans on shooting on the primitive range and the Woodswalk.
Last year I had the chance to shoot a few rounds on the trap range which was fantastic and humbling at the same time.

Hopefully the weather will hold out,but forecasts are calling for temps in the low 90's and scattered thunderstorms.

Most Friendship National Events are humbling for most. The average guy doesn't have the time or funds to practice like the serious boys do. Ron Long (nationally know black-powder shooter from Denver) would shoot for several hours every other day year around. 

If you had a rock throwing contest in two weeks between Ron and several others, you would probably practice one or two times. Ron and guys like him would be throwing rocks for several hours each day until the event.

I understand the pressure to try and be in the running for anything there....My hats off to you....2000 to 2004 I shot  both events and the Spring Blanket very humbling as said....That was back in the days I shot 50 lbs of powder per year just trying to catch up....That is one of my bucket list items to go back...

Hilljack

Man I did the same and should have practiced more on top of that, good times Hilljack.

Yep the bunch I ran with were the Marshes (Tim, Harry and Richard) not a group to have thin skin or easily  hurt feelings....It really was a lot of fun....

Hilljack

The first year that I went was 1977, Jud Brennan and I camped on the primitive side. I had my brand new Brennan rifle and I won the 25yd off hand flintlock match with a 49/3X It was a record and stood for many years.

I won the mens knife in 1980

1st%20place%20knife.jpg

Records are there to be broken over & over again.

p6Awpt.jpg

How many records will be retired, that's the game.

I remember a year in the early 80's, it rained most of the week. I had set up my 18' tee-pee on a little knoll in the middle of the field. I had brought a small sheet metal stove. My wife strung a clothesline across to dry our wet cloths every night over the stove. It got so muddy in the field everyone was wading ankle deep in the mud. Because of the stove we were as snug as two bugs in a rug.  :Hand shake:

Just got home. Seemed like a good turn out for Saturday despite the stifling heat. My high light was my cut card on the Woodswalk. I will be going back in September.

The woods walk was fantastic! I was surrounded by folks in period correct gear,that were more than helpful and encouraging. I think 14 stations to shoot.

I am going back in September for the Fall shoot. 

I will say the shower/restroom area needs an upgrade(damn).

Latest posts

Back