No Deer This Year

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Below is just a snap shot but you can see the state is broken up into areas. Each colored area typically means different regs and bag limits that are reassessed every year and adjusted as required. We don't seem to have an issue with people flocking to high density areas. Most of our land is privately owned except in the national and state forests. We also have some public wildlife management areas.

Screenshot_20210513-132934_Drive.jpg

I typically have to drive 3 hours+ to where I hunt. I would certainly try the other area if tags were available.
Without knowing the area, it truly would be a waste of time. I hear out of state hunters here, every year, asking “where are the deer?” “where can I go to get one?” Sometimes they’ve been here for 3 or 4 days and not seen a single deer. I see deer every day I hunt my home unit. It’s all about knowing the migration patterns and the areas to expect to see some. It’s quite different here than in some of the other states. Our deer start to move toward winter range as the hunting pressure increases. This starts in August when the archery season begins. I’m seeing more and more deer on winter range, earlier and earlier every year.

We are pretty blessed here in CNY. plenty of deer and public to hunt. It`s buy your tags and go hunt. Went turkey hunting this morning and had to stop the truck 5 deer crossed in front of me. But we are in a turkey drought because of bad nesting seasons. I have not heard a bird since may 1st. Real bummer because im a diehard bird hunter. Drove 100 miles today and did not see 1 bird in ag fields. I keep trying. Stay safe guys.

Back