No Deer This Year

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdporter

Reaction score
Looks like I won’t be doing any hunting this year:(. I guess I have elk I can chase. The unit I hunt is a wild goose chase though... maybe next year

Attachments

• 934A442A-AC02-4227-A621-B0C83CB583BD.png
    934A442A-AC02-4227-A621-B0C83CB583BD.png
    107.8 KB · Views: 35
That does suck mate, but I must ask what is the dedicated hunter one about?

Do you get any resident OTC tags where you live?

That’s a BUMMER Stacey!

We don’t have many Draw Hunt options here in Unit 1 Where i live & hunt, We have a pretty good Regular Deer season

That does suck mate, but I must ask what is the dedicated hunter one about?

Do you get any resident OTC tags where you live?
With a dedicated hunter permit, you get to hunt all four seasons: Archery, Muzzleloader, Early Rifle, and Late Rifle. You get to do this for three consecutive years. In exchange for the permit, you have to pay $175 and do 32 hours of wildlife related service plus, you only get to take 2 deer during the 3 years.
It's worth it to me to draw it because it is so hard to draw the area I hunt from year to year.
Utah is all draw only for deer permits. The only ones available over the counter are the ones that don't sell in the drawing, and there are a few that don't, but they go pretty fast when they go on sale in July.

That stinks. Is it far to drive to another area?
The nearest available tags would be in a unit 3 or 4 hours away, if there are any left. We won't find that out until, I think, July. I don't have the time available to do any pre-season scouting, so it would most likely be a waste of time and money.

I swear, I don't understand the purpose of units, lotteries, etc used in some of our states. Guess I have been blessed here on the east coast. Buy my license, deer, turkey, etc tags and go hunt. Why did these units and lotteries start? Are they useful and necessary?
Thanks for the educatuon

John

I swear, I don't understand the purpose of units, lotteries, etc used in some of our states. Guess I have been blessed here on the east coast. Buy my license, deer, turkey, etc tags and go hunt. Why did these units and lotteries start? Are they useful and necessary?
Thanks for the educatuon

John
Guess they don't have the deer we do here in VA. We are blessed!

Tags here are OTC mostly. I wont be able to apply for our "managed hunts" until July and you dont get your notification until the end of August. Ive been applying for one of the most popular hunts just to get preference points if not chosen. I got a good chance this year...i think. We can apply in groups of 5 max too and all preference points are included from each person in the group. Very good way to get a hunt that you really want.

The nearest available tags would be in a unit 3 or 4 hours away, if there are any left. We won't find that out until, I think, July. I don't have the time available to do any pre-season scouting, so it would most likely be a waste of time and money.

I typically have to drive 3 hours+ to where I hunt. I would certainly try the other area if tags were available.

Thanks for the educatuon

John

Useful and necessary? Good question...

I believe the reason they do it is of course an attempt to micro-manage the game herds in individual units by limiting the number of tags given & animals harvested in each, and also to disperse or spread out the hunters across the state so the best areas don't get overcrowded. While it's a major pain to deal with, and I hate it; I must admit the quality of the hunt experience has improved over the years. Much Better buck/doe bull/cow ratios, and far fewer hunters in the field to compete with. The competition is now to get a permit, instead of to get the best camp site or hunting spot.

I remember how crazy deer hunting in Utah was back in the 70's & 80's. Tags were unlimited, schools would close so kids could go, and all hunters would crowd into the best areas. It was a family tradition, and a festive atmosphere. Half the state population would take to the field opening weekend. Freeway traffic jams ensued on the Friday night before. Normally vacant camping areas became mini cities overnight. The mountains were thick with blaze orange dots lining every ridge and clearing. Deer were plentiful, but bucks were hard to find; and if one ever showed itself then sometimes multiple bullets would be flying at it from all directions at the same time. Fights would ensue over who shot it. Opening weekend was like a war zone. It was wild!

Tags may be hard to come by today for the species and units you want, but once you finally get one the overall hunt experience is vastly better. I guess it's a trade off... Unlimited low quality party hunting opportunities with family & friends every year, or a better quality single hunt every few years. Of course it's much more than just a "few" years now for the best limited entry units, which are now becoming once every decade or two opportunities. That part is sad. But they are very high quality hunts.

Thank you for applying in Utah's Big Game hunt drawing. Your results are as follows:

*******************************************************************************************************

UNSUCCESSFUL: Limited-entry Buck Pronghorn

**************************************************************************************************

UNSUCCESSFUL: General-season Buck Deer

**************************************************************************************************

Thanks for the replies. I agree with Toytruck, here in VA we are blessed. Good deer and turkey population having shot 2 this spring. The state manages the hunting by different regs in areas, Tidewater area where i hunt has a more liberal doe season than some of the others which may only have certain days. Other parts of the state require harvesting a doe before you are allowed to take a buck. System seems to work well.

Last edited:
Thank you for applying in Utah's Big Game hunt drawing. Your results are as follows:

**************************************************************************************
SUCCESSFUL: General-season Archery Buck Deer

Hunt: Plateau, Fishlake
Weapon: Archery
Your season date(s): Aug 21 - Sept 17, 2021
*****************************************************************************************

I can draw this particular general unit deer archery permit (not limited entry) about once every 2 or 3 years, as a resident. Limited entry units take 10 - 20 years.

Muzzleloader or any weapon deer takes 3 - 4 years on most general units.

Residents can only apply for and hunt a single deer season/weapon. Can't hunt multiples unless you draw out on the dedicated hunter program (which takes 4 - 5 years) and complete the required service hours.

The only thing you can depend on every year as a resident is one of the general unit over-the-counter elk tags. Can buy separate permits for archery, muzzleloader, and cf rifle; and hunt all 3 seasons. Must select either any bull or spike only, and are limited to hunting only in those specified units. This is where most of my muzzleloader opportunities occur.

Last edited:
I believe the reason they do it is of course an attempt to micro-manage the game herds in individual units by limiting the number of tags given & animals harvested in each

That is exactly what they do in our managed hunts because that is the only way you can hunt these conservation areas. Some counties have unlimited doe tags too but each managed hunt has its own quota it wants to fill. That quota may or may not change from year to year.

NM had more applications than ever before. The Biden Bucks came just before the application deadline. Something like 5 applications for every tag. I must have been living right, because I got drawn for deer, elk, ibex, and Barbary sheep. Life is good. Most of my friends are bummed, but one got drawn for a once-in-a-lifetime oryx hunt at White Sands. I get to go on that hunt as well.

Thanks for the educatuon

John
Without the lottery draws in Utah, our deer would be wiped out.

Latest posts

Back