No Frills Range Finder Out to 500 Yards

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I currently have a Bushnell range finder (Bone Collector) that works very well for bow hunting, but when going past 100 yards it has a difficult time picking up any object that isn't very clearly defined/large. I'm looking for something that is able to pick up like a fence post for example, out to around 500 yards. I really have no idea where to begin. I would like to spend no more than $200, but I don't know if that is possible. Thanks for any recommendations.

I have a Leupold....think it is the RX1400 and I have been extremely impressed by its performance. It ranges targets reliably and out to fairly long ranges.

I bought a Nikon Monarch 2000 a few years back. Simple to use and lets me range small animals (badger) to 400 yards no problem. I had to give $300 for it.

A fence post at 500 is tough for a rangefinder because of its size and low-reflectivity. I have cheap (~ $100-$300) Nikon and Sig rangefinders as well as expensive ($500-$3000) Leica rangefinders and I suspect none of them would reliably do that.

If you’re into podcasts, this is a pretty good one in explaining rangefinder tech:

Also, did you already read this thread?

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/thoughts-on-cheaper-rangefinders.41496/#post-383611

Best thing I ever did for my hunt success was purchasing a Leica CRF900 rangefinder. It’s as no frills as it gets, no angle compensation, no fancy modes, just push the button and instant range. Laser beam divergence is tight and spot on with the reticle.
Ive had mine for over 15 years now and it’s still going strong. I think I’ve changed the battery in it like 3 times over that time span, and only once because it needed it.
They don’t make them anymore but I’d look for a used one near your price range and it will still be better than most new ones in that same price!

I currently have a Bushnell range finder (Bone Collector) that works very well for bow hunting, but when going past 100 yards it has a difficult time picking up any object that isn't very clearly defined/large. I'm looking for something that is able to pick up like a fence post for example, out to around 500 yards. I really have no idea where to begin. I would like to spend no more than $200, but I don't know if that is possible. Thanks for any recommendations.

Leica is the king in this field, IMO. I still have an old Leica 1200 that works great. Huge step up from the cheap units.

The Leica units are probably out of my price range.

I would probably just get a Looka-Leica! 😂😂😂

I apologize… but I just think that joke is the best…
(The brilliant are easily amused!) 🤓

Latest posts

Back