No. Idaho Hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
Not so good right now - anyway nothing like I would expect it to be this time of the year.

We are really warm and really dry. It is like walking on pop corn and the streams and water draws that you would expect to be moist are a dry. Then to make matters a little bit worse because of the lack of a freezing temperatures and the lack of wide spread water sources 'Blue Tongue" disease is attacking the whitetail causing a die off. And of course the area I am in is one of the hardest hit.

The rifle season opened 10/10 around here but I still use a ML during this season. But because of the weather and the fact that I can not hunt elk until December I did not start the season on the 10th. Finally on Thursday 10-22 I decided I might take a small walking trip to the woods in search of a whitetail with 'headgear'.

I went to an area that I have hunted for many years and normally has a good supply of whitetail along wit a few elk. Walked out my normal path along a ridge top then back under the ridge on the north side and along a normally wet draw below me. I thought for sure that I might jump something or bust something especially with the noise I was making walking.

But, it was an afternoon hunt so the walk really was nothing more than to get me to a saddle where I could sit and wait for the setting sun and hope that the deer might move across the ridge top in front of me or the open CRP field behind me. This is or their normal pattern.

Here is a couple pics showing the ambush point with the open ridge top in front of me. Plus my view of the CRP field.

In the normal situation animals cross these two area to access water - without water it isn't happening. But at least I got out for awhile and really enjoyed the time in the woods...

Find the water, Find the critters. OR Got any rain in the forecast?

That's to bad sabotloader, really good looking area your hunting. Mother Nature always has a way of dong things. Our deer season here in Kansas has been slow as well and the deer numbers seem down as well. I'm hoping when the fall crops are gone the deer start showing up or we are in trouble. We have whitetail and mule deer in our part of the state. Good luck with your season. Blake.

Good luck SL!

I'm sure you'll bump into some game eventually, might just have to change your tactics a little. When I first looked at the post I thought you wrote "NO" Idaho Hunting. :lol:

I think a lot of us Idahoans are having trouble this year. I haven't heard of that many guys getting game this year. Good Luck SL!!

I think a lot of us Idahoans are having trouble this year. I haven't heard of that many guys getting game this year. Good Luck SL!!

Latest posts

Back