Nobody going shooting this weekend?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
I'm stuck here at work. :( I hope SOMEONE is at least shooting! I hope to go tomorrow if I'm not rained out....

For me, not this weekend, BUT......next weekend should be different! It will be my premier weekend with the .45 Elite and blackhorn 209, harvester 45/40 sabots, 40 cal sst's. xtp's, 195 barnes ( lightly knurled if need be). O wait...DISC will be topped with Vari X2 (fresh back from reworking at Leupold). 8)

I want to, but it is raining hard right now. Course there is a buck feeding in the yard so me and the dog are entertained.

I shot yesterday, and today. I only shot 50 yards today with some old style flint locks. It was fun. I was going to break out some of the inlines but cleaning two rifles today was enough.

Tomorrow I will try some other rifle. :D Have fun at work.

Tomorrow!

Have some Bh209 to try, but just a few shots since I promised I would use up the 2 lbs of T7 before buying any more powder. 8)

Also have some red crush ribs to try in the savage. With the summer heat waiting between shots is going to suck. Maybe I'll have to bring 3 ml's to the range.

tornado weather here to be followed by more tornado weather through next week. Then the weather will lighten up and only be hot, humid, and miserable. And ticks/chiggers/skeeters are horrible this year.

I'm hoping for an early frost. :D

Virgin range session for new KRB w/ Leupold 2-7x Vari-X II

Chuck since you asked, here are my range notes for Saturday. Please! If this is too wordy for this forum please let me know.
Range session 5/31/08
This is the virgin range session for my new KRB w/ Leupold 2-7x Vari-X II Shotgun scope.
Very windy with strong gusts. Shot during lull in wind.

1)HDY .430d, 300XTP w/ green c-r sabot. Started with 100g T7 at 50 yards.
First 3 shots loaded one hand snug. 1 3/8? group. Spit patched between shots.
Made sight adjustment and moved target to 80 yards

2)HDY .430d, 300g XTP w/ c-r sabot w/ 120g T7, at 80 yards
First 2 shots loaded 1 hand snug, (but with increasing resistance)
3 shot group at 1 1/2?.
Started 2 wet, 1 dry patch between groups.

3)HDY .430d, 265g FP w/ c-r sabot & 120g T7 @ 80 yards.
First 2 shots were 5/8? c-c.
3rd shot was a hang-fire & missed target completely!!! May have followed a too wet patch.
4th shot opened group to 2 5/8?

4)Speer .429d, 275g FN Gold Dot w/ grn c-r sabot w/ 120gr T7 @ 80 yards.
Becoming more difficult to clean even with wetting patches with H2O2, murphy's & etoh solution.
May want to try brushing and or WD40 patches to follow above solution.
1st 2 shots were 1? c-c. 3rd shot was a miss-fire!!! Tried 3 more primers. Primers all ignited but not powder. Pulled b-plug to clean. Discovered bullet was mid barrel. Pushed bullet out. Cleaned bore, reloaded and fired 3rd shot which slightly enlarged one hole for group sized 1 1/8?.

5/31/08 overall impression
I like the KRB. Overall it is easy to operate.
I like the secondary hammer safety.
I'm not sure whether primer loading will cause an untimely issue.
Today I shot .44cal sabotted bullets, that I haven't been able to do that with my Wolf.
I think I could load a 2nd and maybe even a 3rd round without swabbing when starting w/ a clean barrel.
Loading remained very acceptable.
Breach plug remained easy to remove and cleaned easily at end of day.
Cleaning / patching became progressively more difficult after ~ the 5th round. Even with using the Murphy's-peroxide-alcohol cleaning solution. I may want to experiment with using the watered down ballistol solution, and / or trying a couple of WD40 patches after the wet patching followed by 1-2 dry patches of course.
Regarding Hang-fire & Miss-fire, I need to be more careful with the wet patching,. Must avoid more than just damp patches. No dripping wet patches!
My goal is to work up an accurate powder/bullet load preferably for the .44cal HDY265g & the Speer 275gr GD, if possible.
There you have it. My notes.
James

Latest posts

Back