November 2015 Field & Stream Feild Test

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have personal experience with two of these muzzleloaders. T/C impact is a solid entry level gun. Accurate and easy to use. The Optima V2 is not a good muzzleloader. It is a great muzzleloader. We have 5 in the family from camp thumbhole to black/stainless to the nitride variety. All shoot great, shoot multiple bullets, easy to use and has the best breech in the industry. I'm an Encore guy myself but the Optima is a quality loader at any level.

Mostly i just dont care for alloy frames and coatings on carbon steel vs stainless. Not a huge break action fan either but that's about all that's available for the entry level guns.

IMO T/C might get a bigger piece of the entry level pie if they offered the Impact in SS.

I love the CVA optima line easy to use gun for pros or newbs like me also about one of the easiest inlines to clean imo but what do i know im a newb :roll: btw i agree with busta all the way :applause:

GM54-120 said:
Mostly i just dont care for alloy frames and coatings on carbon steel vs stainless. Not a huge break action fan either but that's about all that's available for the entry level guns.

IMO T/C might get a bigger piece of the entry level pie if they offered the Impact in SS.

Great answer!! Thanks

The Knight Vision reminds me of a modern shotgun. Since it kinda looks like one, maybe it would be worth a shot making it into one.

I could see the appeal of a Vision shotgun vs the TK. :yeah:

I have the Impact with the "Weather Shield" finish, and we will certainly see how it holds up to the elements here in coastal southeast Alaska.
Even stainless is challenged here. Cerracoat, (sp?) shows promise.

Well guess ill be waiting for this months field and stream to come through the mail lol i want to read more info on these guns

alaska viking said:
I have the Impact with the "Weather Shield" finish, and we will certainly see how it holds up to the elements here in coastal southeast Alaska.
Even stainless is challenged here. Cerracoat, (sp?) shows promise.

The nitride coating from CVA has a guarantee not to rust. Might be just the thing for those parts?

I see they also have the Blackhorn plug with nitride as well.

CVA7589 said:
Well guess ill be waiting for this months field and stream to come through the mail lol i want to read more info on these guns

I've had mine for close to a week now. I don't pay to subscribe, it's a freebie year subscription for going to the Deer and Turkey Show.

Not really much information.

According to a "pro staffer" the breach plug is just a black coating. Its not nitride. Only the barrel got the nitride treatment.

GM54-120 said:
According to a "pro staffer" the breach plug is just a black coating. Its not nitride. Only the barrel got the nitride treatment.

Probably right after reading CVA's description.

Product Description:
Blackhorn Breechplug for Nitride barrel

http://www.cva.com/CVA-Store-View.php?id=865

These guys must have had a creative writer for their description. See first sentence in second paragraph under the description tab.

The New Nitride CVA® Blackhorn™ QR Breech Plug is specifically designed for use with Blackhorn™ or other loose powder muzzleloading propellants. Nothing affects performance of your muzzleloader more than a clean breech plug for consistent ignition and better overall accuracy.

This Nitride coated stainless steel replacement breech plug is designed to work with all CVA Accura V2, Optima and Wolf models, 2010 or newer. This plug is optimal for whatever type of propellant you choose to use, either loose or pelletized. The CVA 209 breech plug allows the flash-hole to remain debris free after repeated shots with finer, loose powder propellants. You no longer need to continually clean out the flash-hole after each shot.

https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/accessor ... -plug.html

The standard QRBP that is black does not seem to be nitride. Thus far two of them have been converted to reliably ignite Blackhorn powder. The job was done with standard high speed drills. Had the plugs been nitride, in my opinion, it wouldn't have been possible to cut them with anything less than a carbide cutting tool.

Busta said:
TripleSe7en said:
1874sharpsshooter said:
There aint a single gun on that list that i would own .

There ain't a single gun you own, that I would want.

:huh?: :huh?: Is that Monica or Bill looking up the POOP SHOOT. Doesn't matter, I'll reserve the rest of my comments out of respect of my ML family. :lol: :lol: :lol: :yeah:

As said, the V2 isn't their "entry level" gun and they should have tested the Wolf or Buckstalker alongside the others...
Kind of a known outcome there..

cljohnson24 said:
As said, the V2 isn't their "entry level" gun and they should have tested the Wolf or Buckstalker alongside the others...

Like I said, I would still take the Wolf over the others.

They were going by price point, around $300ish. The others didn't have a rifle in the Wolf's price range #170ish blued, $207 REAL Stainless Steel.

The Wolf functions just like the Optima.

So, it just goes to show, you can get a better gun for the same or less money.

Busta said:
cljohnson24 said:

Like I said, I would still take the Wolf over the others.

They were going by price point, around $300ish. The others didn't have a rifle in the Wolf's price range #170ish blued, $207 REAL Stainless Steel.

The Wolf functions just like the Optima.

So, it just goes to show, you can get a better gun for the same or less money.
Only when it's made overseas unfortunately....but nonetheless, your point is well taken and in the context of price, the list was fair.

My cousin shoots a T/C Impact in a firearm restricted area here in Washington for deer. It seems to be a perfect lightweight gun that handles nice and guick for these brushy blacktail woods.
I like the fact that it has removable spacers in the butt pad area for smaller frame shooters. My niece was able to use it and take a doe with it in her second year of hunting. Matter of fact it is a gun I would love to have for my wife to use as she is just starting out hunting this year.

Back