nula 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportsman1

Reaction score
hi
this is my first post here but i read it often.i have two savages and was looking at getting a nula 209. so if anyone that owns one or shot one please give me some info likes dislikes if any.some questions i have are
how primer seal any blow bye?
groups 100, 200, or longer?
hows the stock feel for scope linement?
action cycle smooth and tight, rugged?
any other comments welcome.
thank you

Here are some previous links concerning the ULA .50:

http://modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2313

http://modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1643

http://modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1416

http://modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1241

how primer seal any blow bye?

You actually put the primer in the breechplug with your finger and close the bolt which seals the primer to the breechplug. There is a VERY slight mist of blow-by. VERY slight. Absolutely nothing permanent and whatever IS there is easily removed with a light wipe with your rag..

groups 100, 200, or longer?

See above links. Is certainly in the running for the most accurate muzzleloader I've ever owned. Probably IS the most accurate. I have certainly shot THE most accurate groups with it of any muzzleloader I've owned, Savages INCLUDED!

hows the stock feel for scope linement?

Of course the ULA is designed for scope use from the BEGINNING! When you put the ULA to your shoulder the scope is just right THERE! Also Talley mounts are included with a ULA rifle!

action cycle smooth and tight, rugged?

Sure it's smooth. As far as rugged...I've owned it 6 months and it has worked perfectly!

Read these links I've posted and if you have any more questions I'll be glad to answer!

big6x6

thanks for the reply. have you tried other powders and does the gun seem like it will shoot different combos bullets and sabots. 451 .452 .458. do your wait times between shot seem the same as the savage or is the thin barrel cool faster.
sorry for so many questions but may want to order one before the shot show. than you

thanks for the reply. have you tried other powders

I sure have not...

does the gun seem like it will shoot different combos bullets and sabots. 451 .452 .458.

Bullets the ULA shoots VERY well are the 250gr PTX, 250gr Shockwave, 250gr BONDED Shockwave, and the 225gr Barnes XPB. When I got the rifle I was really in a hurry to find a load because I had an upcoming hunt. It didn't take that long! I'll try Barnes new bullet as soon as it comes out!

do your wait times between shot seem the same as the savage or is the thin barrel cool faster.

Same about of time...

BTW...I'm sending a check for the deposit on my SECOND ULA tomorrow!

Hey DW,
LAST year it took from March to August I think. As long as I get it by August again, I'll be happy! :D

Chuck,
A question about the NULA muzzleloader . Is it full length bedded, like the rifles they produce?

Vince
s.w. Ohio

squirrelhawker said:
Chuck,
A question about the NULA muzzleloader . Is it full length bedded, like the rifles they produce?

Vince
s.w. Ohio

You bet cha!

Well I'm getting a lot closer to making a decision on the ULA. If I could only get the thoughts of a new Beretta Extrema 391 out of my head I'd be ready............... :?

I see the NULA 209 is supposed to weigh less than 5 lbs. I'm sure it carries like a dream; the next question is, what's recoil like with such a lightweight rifle launching 250+ gr bullets? I know my 10MLIIBSS pushes me around pretty good, and it weighs at least three pounds more.

Since we are the ones that load them, both can kick just as hard as we want them to. :shock:

FWF said:
I see the NULA 209 is supposed to weigh less than 5 lbs. I'm sure it carries like a dream; the next question is, what's recoil like with such a lightweight rifle launching 250+ gr bullets? I know my 10MLIIBSS pushes me around pretty good, and it weighs at least three pounds more.

The question of recoil seems to always come up when the ULA 209 is mentioned. Here's what I wrote concerning this in an earlier post...

IndianaHunter wrote:
Hey Chuck, as lite as it is how's the recoil?

Stiff... Here's a comparison:

.300 Weatherby Mark V 3-12X50 Swarovski..200gr Sierra Game King @3008fps...weight 10lbs right on the money..

Free recoil velocity(FRV) 12.8 ft/s
Free recoil energy(FRE) 25.4 ft/lb

.338 Winchester Remington 700KS 1.5-6X42 Kahles 250gr Sierra Game King @ 2730fps...8.1lbs.

FRV 17.1 ft/s
FRE 36.8 ft/lb

Savage 10ML-II 3.5-10X40 Leupold VX-III 250gr SST @ 2330fps 10lbs

FRV 10.7 ft/s
FRE 17.8 ft/lb

ULA .50 Leupold VX-III 2.5-8 250gr PTX @ 2423fps... 7.2lbs

FRV 15.3 ft/s
FRE 26.2 ft/lb

Yeah...the recoil IS pretty stout...Before I did these calculations I told Grouse that I though the recoil was LESS than my .300 Weatherby..I guess it isn't. Of course muzzle blast is no where NEARLY as great nor as noisy..maybe that's why I thought recoil was less.. Actual FELT recoil is nowhere near uncomfortable for me... Also, as you can see, my .338 will put it to shame and my .375 will eat the .338s lunch in the recoil dept. I hope no one ever complains about the 10ML-II recoil with 250gr bullets as it is a whus in that dept!

It REALLY doesn't feel like that much recoil whereas my .338 Win really DOES feel like that much recoil! If you are used to shooting a lightweight 30-06, it would be hard for you to tell the difference...

I copied this FAQ from the NULA web site. Not sure if this makes any difference, but this is their answer to the recoil.

Q. I bet this rifle kicks hard since it is so light.

A: In reality, the rifle was designed with shooter comfort in mind, so recoil is rarely a problem with most people. The straight, classic-style stock brings recoil directly to the shooter instead of rotating like on a Monte Carlo-style stock. The light weight of the rifle will cause initial acceleration to be greater, but the duration of the recoil will be shorter thanks to the light weight. If you can handle the recoil of the same caliber in another rifle, you can easily handle ours.

I bet handles very nicely.

Chuck: I was just wondering where the balance point would be. Most muzzleloaders tend to be barrel heavy. I tend like a balance point about 20" to 23" from the end recoil pad. That seems to be the best handling gun in my hands.

Last question: Did you go with high or low Talley mounts?

Chuck: I was just wondering where the balance point would be. Most muzzleloaders tend to be barrel heavy. I tend like a balance point about 20" to 23" from the end recoil pad. That seems to be the best handling gun in my hands.

This muzzleloader is balanced like a fine rifle, which it is! 20.5 inches from the recoil pad. That's with a Leupold VX-III 3.5-10X40 in place!

Last question: Did you go with high or low Talley mounts?

Low Talleys. No problem mounting a 2.5-8X36 VX-III OR the 3.5-10X40 that is on it now. I've had a Swarovski 3-10X42 on it as well. No sweat with it either!

Thanks Chuck,

20.5" sounds real sweet for handling.

I have a 14.5" length of pull, so that would bring it back even more, assuming yours is the 13.5" standard.

Are all their stocks non checkered?

Are all their stocks non checkered?

Mine isn't but it IS somewhat textured. I like it! My "normal" lop is about 14.0 inches. Something about 13.5 with the ULA makes it feel "just right" though!

Any Barrel options posible with this rifle?
Thanks
ziton

Well I'm thinking he'll do whatever IS possible and your checkbook will allow!

This NEXT ULA 209 of mine WILL have one notch higher barrel profile and may even be an inch or so longer!

Back