Shimming Lehigh plug for knight LRH

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would ask... with the 3 shims and the shooting of a primer - did you remove the shims and clean the primer pocket? You more than likely did get a build up primer waste in the shims. This build up could have caused part of your problem. Clean it up and then try the fit with 4 shims.

Primer residue is not corrosive - no reason to really clean it.

Question - where was the primer stuck? When you tried to pull it out of the BP or in the bolt and would not fall out. If it was the latter simply close the bolt and pull the trigger that will push the prime back up into the battery cup and should allow it to fall out when tipped.

Primer stuck in the BP... well.... as I remember the STS seems to have a little larger diameter than others and I think I remember them sticking in some Lehigh BP's

Try this... after you have cleaned up your BP place it on a flat surface, set a primer in place and push it down with your thumb as tight as you can. Then pick up the BP and turn it upside down - the primer should fall out from its own weight. The problem being when the BP is heat treated it tends to shrink the diameter of the primer port on some of the BP's more than others. You may need to polish the interior walls of the primer port. Do you have any other primers available? If so, repeat the test with them. Firing the primer especially with a load in will make the primer swell and catch the walls of the primer port.

After cleaning you might try the 4 shims again and check for crush.

Ok. Will start from scratch. And make sure breechplug is really clean.

But actually now I remember putting the 4th washer in before firing the first primer. Because it was hard to close the bolt, I removed 1 and shot the first one with 3.

Whose breechplug are you using? With that many shims an "O"-ring would work fine. I will try to get some in the mail to you tomorrow. Use the thicker shims that I sent you instead of all 0.005". There should be some resistance when closing the bolt.

You got one of those barrels that was threaded really deep then. I have a DISC Original that is the same way. It is 0.022" deeper than my 2 Elites which are 0.001" different.

I use the rubber O-Ring in the primer pocket to eliminate blowback. Only knowledge of the CVA rifle BUT they work great for me. I make sure that the firing pin bushing is exactly flush with the receiver face. When inserting the primer I hold the action pointing down and close with a firm snap. Fired & unfired primer from/for my Accura V2.

1659137324346.png

Last edited:
Ok. Will start from scratch. And make sure breechplug is really clean.

But actually now I remember putting the 4th washer in before firing the first primer. Because it was hard to close the bolt, I removed 1 and shot the first one with 3.

What you are doing will work fine when you find the correct number of shims you need. What .245/8 shims do you have on hand?

The O rings will also work but not for an extended period, they will need to be replaced. but in the long run if you are just shooting a brand of primer to use them up and plan on switching primers at a later date the O ring might be your best bet.

Last edited:
When I got my knight mountaineer,I had the same problem with the primers sticking in the bolt head.I had the firing pin turned down to a smaller diameter and the sticking quit.If any one is a machinist they could do it.I do not remember the diameter it was turned down to,but it reall works.I did not see any reason to put o rings or shims to get it to work right.

Tried an O ring in my brothers Omega and he couldn’t close the rear over the primer. It wouldn’t snap shut. Is there some way to make that work, or does he just need to use metal shims?

Tried an O ring in my brothers Omega and he couldn’t close the rear over the primer. It wouldn’t snap shut. Is there some way to make that work, or does he just need to use metal shims?

There is a O ring that will work. but I can not remember the size - some will be along that knows or PM GM54-120 bet he knows.

Also FYI, my primer pocket is deep. Took three 0.05 shims before I got any crush. Jsteurrys suggested that an O ring might work in my bolt action Knight since it was deep. Tried it with 10 shots today. Seemed to work fine. 10 shots is plenty to get from one ring for me. Here is the O ring after shooting and an example of the primers with and without the O ring489470D9-092D-401E-8B8C-456CAE62014F.jpegF74BB5FE-0F36-4001-8768-E6CE46A64E65.jpeg529E0864-3511-4CA8-925F-6A28A6B0A18B.jpeg

Attachments

• A31DC5C9-57CA-41B7-AC0D-6A6362084767.jpeg
    A31DC5C9-57CA-41B7-AC0D-6A6362084767.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
There was a time when Winchester primers were longer than all the others. The last two new boxes of Winchesters purchased were no longer than the CCI, or the Federal primers. The old Winchester primers were long enough one could shoot the longer ones in an Omega without any kind of o-ring, or shim, and not get any blow by. That is no longer true these days.

The primer socket in Omega breech plugs is so shallow there really isn't enough room for shims or o-rings.

Far and away the best solution for the Omega is a Bestill custom breech plug sized for a particular primer. We have two of Bestill' breech plugs for the Omega rifles. One is sized for CCI, and Federal 209a primers; the other is sized for the STS primers. Both plugs have deep primer sockets, and both plugs provide perfectly clean ignition with zero blow by in every Omega rifle. These plugs are a true joy to use, and they make for a happy shooter.

There was a time when Winchester primers were longer than all the others. The last two new boxes of Winchesters purchased were no longer than the CCI, or the Federal primers. The old Winchester primers were long enough one could shoot the longer ones in an Omega without any kind of o-ring, or shim, and not get any blow by. That is no longer true these days.

The primer socket in Omega breech plugs is so shallow there really isn't enough room for shims or o-rings.

Far and away the best solution for the Omega is a Bestill custom breech plug sized for a particular primer. We have two of Bestill' breech plugs for the Omega rifles. One is sized for CCI, and Federal 209a primers; the other is sized for the STS primers. Both plugs have deep primer sockets, and both plugs provide perfectly clean ignition with zero blow by in every Omega rifle. These plugs are a true joy to use, and they make for a happy shooter.
Ron could you provide a link to how to get the dimensions for Bestill to make the breech plug?

What do you guys think about the dimple my firing pin put in the primers above? The dirty one on the left was before the O ring. Smaller dimple on right is after.
2 possibilities I see:

1). When I took out the firing pin to test the O ring, I did something to the firing pin mech or didn’t get it put back right.

2) now that the pressure can’t blow back around the primer, it is pushing the face of the primer back more when it goes off.

Opinions? Am I OK or do I have to worry about a misfire? All of mine went off

Last edited:
Back