NY new laws

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Makinsmoke

Reaction score
Not sure where to post this. But here it is. This was sent by a friend of mine from NY. The red is other talk..lol. don't know about you, but I live in PA, have a cabin in NY, seriously questioning if it's worth it. Not just for deer, but we run hares with beagles. Lots more expense , we don't kill many deer, ( Catskill, low deer # ) but now days it adds up . What's yer all thoughts...

Attachments

• 19629.png
    19629.png
    243.4 KB · Views: 113
The whole premise behind lead free ammunition is about protecting the bald eagles.
I read an article recently about a study done in California. In the time since they banned lead hunting ammunition there, (10 or 20 years) however long its been. No significant changes in lead levels in tested birds.
Eagles are still ingesting lead from some environmental sources that they can't pinpoint.
We humans pollute our waterways with all manner of toxic substances, which seem to be overlooked but yet target hunters bullets as the sole source of lead pollution in the environment.
I've spent most of my life as a deer hunter and have on occasion found dead deer that were shot and never recovered. I have never seen a bald eagle in the woods feeding on a deer carcass.

I like deer hunting too, but keep the cabin and take those beagles up there more often and run those snowshoe hare, what a blast that is. Myself and a few buddies used to go to the UP Of Michigan to run hare, until the wolves got bad, and it was fun. Just my 2 cents.

I like deer hunting too, but keep the cabin and take those beagles up there more often and run those snowshoe hare, what a blast that is. Myself and a few buddies used to go to the UP Of Michigan to run hare, until the wolves got bad, and it was fun. Just my 2 cents.
That's where I think we're heading. My 14 year old has taken to running beagles, more then I could have ever imagined. He love the field trials and listening to those hounds go..he goes to school smelling like a old hound, you know you need to go in the kennel and love on each one before the bus comes...lol

Lead is probably going to be outlawed or restricted in most places eventually. Might as well start planning for replacements now instead of waiting til the last minute and have to deal with trouble finding something that works well.

Lead is probably going to be outlawed or restricted in most places eventually. Might as well start planning for replacements now instead of waiting til the last minute and have to deal with trouble finding something that works well.

You are Absolutely Correct; it is being suggested in the 2022 Colorado Big Game Regulations. Sure Glad I already use a lot of Barnes, CEB, Hornady GMX & Peregrine Copper Monolithics.

DEHS_TEEO_Lead_in_Wild_Game_082021 (6).pdf - Google Drive

The whole premise behind lead free ammunition is about protecting the bald eagles.
I read an article recently about a study done in California. In the time since they banned lead hunting ammunition there, (10 or 20 years) however long its been. No significant changes in lead levels in tested birds.
Eagles are still ingesting lead from some environmental sources that they can't pinpoint.
We humans pollute our waterways with all manner of toxic substances, which seem to be overlooked but yet target hunters bullets as the sole source of lead pollution in the environment.
I've spent most of my life as a deer hunter and have on occasion found dead deer that were shot and never recovered. I have never seen a bald eagle in the woods feeding on a deer carcass.
Yet the pheasants have all but disappeared since banning lead shot.

Pheasants are dwindling due to habitat loss, not lead shot.

Deerman, I've seen bald eagles feeding on gut piles in the woods here. I've seen red-tailed hawks dining on a pile or two as well. Around here a gut pile doesn't last for 24 hours between coyotes and crows and racoons and that helps minimize the lead exposure. I hunt copper so I'm not contributing in any way, but as rifleman says, they'll find something wrong with copper in time too.

Pheasants are dwindling due to habitat loss, not lead shot.
Those brave enough to speak out in CALEPA say the pheasant decline began immediately after changes in rice growing techniques coupled with change in herbicide types and use. Water shortages didn't help.

I think they should ban those giant wind turbines you see that generate electricity. They kill thousands of hawks, eagles and waterfowl every year, yet know one seems to mind as long as they can operate their latte machines.
Story in news today about the company that owns multiple windmill farms in several states including MI. Their windmills have killed 150 Bald Eagles in 4 year period. Fined $35 million --- not for the killing of them but for NOT getting a permit to kill them!!!.. Government makes too much money on the windmill farms for them to go away...Hope you don't live by one -- noise = sounds like a tennis shoe in a dryer and the strobe light effect if the sun shines every time a blade passes-

Last edited:
I find it disturbing that all the environmental laws target impacts on the natural and exclude those on human life and well being.

Back