NY new laws

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are Absolutely Correct; it is being suggested in the 2022 Colorado Big Game Regulations. Sure Glad I already use a lot of Barnes, CEB, Hornady GMX & Peregrine Copper Monolithics.

DEHS_TEEO_Lead_in_Wild_Game_082021 (6).pdf - Google Drive
I wonder what would happen to muzzleloader regs if this were to pass in Colorado. As it is right now, .50 cal only for elk and moose. No sabots allowed. Not much choice for full bore (non saboted) .50 cal copper conicals right now. Thors and Federal Bore Lock are the only two I can think of off hand.
I have a Colorado elk ML hunt scheduled for fall 2023. Hope they make up their minds soon.

Been "Feeding" bald eagles along with turkey vultures, coyotes, possums, raccoons & whatever critter enjoys a deer carcass meal for well over 20 years in the same spot. We always try to recover projectiles when butchering (fun to see what worked & what didn't).

Our noble bird loves to eat dead stuff - road kill especially. We see them quite frequently during the rut munching down on the right-of-way. They also eat chickens, cats, and at least one small dog. Outlawing lead bullets won't save those that get hit by cars.

Millions of buffalo were killed in the 1870's and left to rot once the hides were taken. I don't ever recall reading about vultures and eagles dying due to lead ingestion and I am sure they were feeding on the carcasses along with crows, ravens, coyotes and wolves. Lead does not dissolve in the soil and get into the ground water. I want to see the science to prove that there is a lead hazard before any law is passed to ban lead projectiles.

Honestly if you google X-rays of eagles with lead there are all sorts of images of eagles with lead bits in their gut. They know the symptoms of lead poisoning and it shows up in their blood. There’s no point in denying that it happens. The fact is that eagles are doing just fine despite some being lost.

Millions of buffalo were killed in the 1870's and left to rot once the hides were taken. I don't ever recall reading about vultures and eagles dying due to lead ingestion and I am sure they were feeding on the carcasses along with crows, ravens, coyotes and wolves. Lead does not dissolve in the soil and get into the ground water. I want to see the science to prove that there is a lead hazard before any law is passed to ban lead projectiles.
Actually, the demise of the Buffalo was not entirely due to hunters. Do you realize how long it would take 1000 buffalo hunters, shooting single shot rifles, And then skinning them, to kill 60 million Buffalos? It's now believed that Texas tick fever from cows being introduced in the Midwest accounted for the death of a lot of Buffalo. If you're interested, there was a good article on this a few years ago, I have a copy of it and would be glad to post it for any that are interested.
Squint

Actually, the demise of the Buffalo was not entirely due to hunters. Do you realize how long it would take 1000 buffalo hunters, shooting single shot rifles, And then skinning them, to kill 60 million Buffalos? It's now believed that Texas tick fever from cows being introduced in the Midwest accounted for the death of a lot of Buffalo. If you're interested, there was a good article on this a few years ago, I have a copy of it and would be glad to post it for any that are interested.
Squint
Yes I agree that the buffalo were not hunted to near extinction,there were many other factors that lead to their demise, but the hide hunters of the 1870's shot thousands of buffalo for just the hides and tongues. There are pictures of the mountains of hides along the railway head in Kansas City and Dodge City.

Methinks the Avian Flu spreading this year will kill lots of birds of all kinds. So will wind farms.

The lead shot ban in waterfowl hunting has made a difference in reducing lead poisoning deaths but that's quite different from big-game hunting due to the crippled/lost waterfowl that hawks eventually consume. Managed waterfowl hunting areas concentrate such edible birds in relatively small areas which also tend to concentrate those that feed upon them.

Bottom-feeding waterfowl were also victims of lead poisoning from ingesting shot as they fed. Ethical waterfowlers who don't sky-bust every duck they see can still kill birds with bismuth & steel, not lose birds. Big-game hunters can lessen lead poisoning by making the effort to recover projectiles from carcasses and tracking down wounded animals. Banning lead bullets will result in more crippled/lost game in my opinion and an overall bad idea.

I quit bird hunting some 10-12 years ago, One of the factors was the lead bs and the other is competing with new immigrants who hunted in packs of 4+ and took everything from egrets to crows. When wardens enforced (rarely) they would dump what they had and split up and run.

You are Absolutely Correct; it is being suggested in the 2022 Colorado Big Game Regulations. Sure Glad I already use a lot of Barnes, CEB, Hornady GMX & Peregrine Copper Monolithics.

DEHS_TEEO_Lead_in_Wild_Game_082021 (6).pdf - Google Drive
4th generation Coloradan and my people are all ranch and farm people who should have collectively eaten a lot of lead in our game meat. No history of disease, mental or otherwise which could be traced to lead poisoning. Everyone knows that lead isn’t good to ingest but I’m suspicious tha the impact of lead fragments in wild game meat is overplayed.

“Some lead-based bullets are resistant to fragmentation, offering hunters the ability to clean game animals with negligible risk of including lead fragments in prepared meat. Other bullets are prone to fragmentation and exacerbate the risk of lead ingestion from prepared meat. In practice, use of a non-fragmenting bullet and proper cleaning of the game animal's wound can eliminate the risk of lead ingestion from eating game;[139] however, isolating such practice to experimentally determine its association with blood lead levels in study is difficult.”

NY offers many excellent recreational opportunities. Good hunting and fishing. Awesome state parks. Skiing, Snowmobiling, and the lakes and rivers offer plenty of summer fun. Unfortunately this is all being restricted and overshadowed by a bunch of looney left democrat politicians.

I hunted during the early muzzleloader season one year. Around 1996, I think.
My buddy and I hunted near the town of Turin, New York. The Lesser Wilderness S.F.
We had a great week and my buddy shot a big doe. On the last day, I had a small deer come by the stand but I passed on the shot.
Some fond memories.

NY offers many excellent recreational opportunities. Good hunting and fishing. Awesome state parks. Skiing, Snowmobiling, and the lakes and rivers offer plenty of summer fun. Unfortunately this is all being restricted and overshadowed by a bunch of looney left democrat politicians.
i used to go up to ny but pa has better and far cheaper options now

jlynch75 I like your motto. Age has a few privileges. If I wait until October I'm looking at a $5.00 Hunting license

i used to go up to ny but pa has better and far cheaper options now
I hunted in PA for years in the Bradford, McKean Cnty area. it was only 7 mi from NY line. My Grandparents were born and raised there. Tough area, "icebox" of Pennsylvania, heavy woods, hills etc. You had to really "hunt" in that area. No sitting in a tree blind bull! If you got back in far enough one Pa tree looked like another NY tree ?!

The lead shot issue is moot. The use of tetraethyl lead in gasoline for decades has really been the problem all along. I doubt there is one human that does not have detachable lead in tissue, blood or hair. When doing extensive testing it is so common baseline level are used to judge toxicity. Think petroleum companies control what you know??

Back