Ok I Know It Is Not True Traditional But?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneshot1

Reaction score
Got a 54Cal. CVA Sidelock, got regular Blued Barrel and Adjustable Sights.

Ok I've shot Fixed Sights and do like them. But should I take up time making changes on this Rifle? My way of thinking I have fun with it and no matter what I do it will still be a CVA Sidelock.

oneshot

Most rendezvous will not allow adjustable sights, I don't see an issue with these as they are not like adjustable target/peep sights. But if you are shooting for fun on your own time and hunting, that sight is perfectly fine.

I run the factory adjustable sight just like that on my traditions, but i installed a german silver front blade sight for better view up front.

Unless you participate in certain primitive matches it doesn't make any difference. And not all primitive shoots disallow them.
As far as authtenticty is concerned, adjustable sights are not exactly a 20th century invention. They were plenty common on post Civil War rifles and not exactly rare before that.

Just shoot your gun and enjoy it. And if you decide to use conical type bullets to hunt with you will be glad your sights are adjustable. I mostly shoot round balls but have Lee R.E.A.L. bullets and Lee Improved Minies for my guns and past 50 yards there is a difference in impact point between the two loads.

And let me tell you those Lee Minnies really blow a hole through Elk. My first Elk was killed with a 54 Cabelas Hawken.

My rifle kills plenty fine with Patch and Ball, tried Conicals and yes I have to adjust my sights.

Got a Double Barrel Muzzeloading Shotgun. The barrels I'm stuck with but it is really only good out 25 yards but love hunting with it.

This is kind of like when I shot Bow, I used Factory Recurve Bow and was very Good shot. I was outshooting Guys with Compounds. it is a matter of knowing your weapon and loving it even though it isn't for everyone.

oneshot

Latest posts

Back