Old Eynsford Powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawgslayer

Reaction score
:applause:

Saturday was my scheduled day to work as Range Officer at the ml'er range. I brought my .58 Hawken and wanted to try out some OLD EYNSFORD powder. It's made by Goex. It's my opinion now that I found it to be hotter and much more cleaner. When the range opens it's usually not getting crowded until 10/10:30. I no sooner got off 5 shots at 0900 and a troupe of boy scouts showed up at 0930 to have fun and some were working on the merit badges.............. So 5 shots is all I got.
I was using 70 grains of OE with a .570 ball. My patches were .015/.018 and I applied a lube that my friend Jonathan sent me. I also was using CCI mag caps. All my shots were from the 50 yard benches.
1st shot was at 12 o'clock in the 9 ring.
2nd shot was in the 9 but to the left of center.
3rd, 4th and 5th shots were right where I wanted them.
In my opinion I think the first to shots were me getting anxious or a cold clean rifle. Reason I say that is, I never changed any thing for the last 3 shots. Everything was the same as the first 2.
MAY21_zpszjtdfwut.jpg

I'm very impressed with OE and would recomend it if some one asked.

Ray...........GOOD HUNTIN' GUYS :yeah:

good shootin'! what granulation didja use? i use swiss 3f for flintlocks that range from .32 to .58, and also for a .50 caplock, i really like swiss bp and use 1-1/2f for my bpcr rifles. but have been considering trying out old eynsford as it's a good bit cheaper than swiss.

rfd,
I don't know how much cheaper the powder is but I know if you go to Powderinc.com, you can mix and match powders. 5#s shipped to your house is about 135.00/145.00 all fees included. My last order was was 3#s Goex 2F and 2#'s OF 2F. $135.00 to my door.
To answer your question I was using OE 2F. I really like it and as soon as my Goex runs out, I'll be buying OE from then on.
Good Luck :!:

Ray.................. :yeah:

that is some fine shooting there. I never tried that powder but intend to with the next powder order.

i buy direct from MainePowderHouse in maine, $575 for 25# of swiss 1-1/2f - no shipping or hazmat fees with that quantity.

I've shot Goex, Elephant, Diamondback, KIK, and Swiss. If I could have only one powder for my MLers, it would be Goex fffg. 2nd choice would be Swiss ffg.

The 2010(?) lot of KIK was reputed to be as powerful as Swiss, or nearly so, but I never ran across any. Likewise, the OE.

excess650,

Check out powderinc.com and you'll find OE there along with a few more. :wink:

Ray............Good Luck

powderinc.com's site doesnt seem to be working. Maine Powder House has good prices including shipping and hazmat on full case (or two) orders. IIRC, BATF limit is 50# per individual, and some localities far less. :(

I would like to know if KIK is still available and what the price is...

i've found that swiss and olde eynesford are simply better in terms of flashpoint, sd, and lowered fouling. we bpcr folks know that only too well. look at any of those events and the vast majority will be loading with swiss, and then OE. to some folks, it just doesn't matter, and that's perfectly understandable. to each their own.

Apparently I wasn't where I needed to be to see pricing and availability. OE is $30/case more than Goex, so not much. KIK was $100/case less, so would be a bargain if it were available in finer granulations.

Back