Old Geezer, Rookie Mistake

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themoose

Reaction score
I forgot to take my smart pills the last few days, but today was the last open day I have between wife's Doctors and hospital appointments and work so I manned up and was at the range when it opened at 7:00am... just the way I like it....all to myself... the smart people stayed home... it was about 26F with wind blowing 20-30 with gusts... flag not only out straight, but pole bending... snow blowing at times...

anyway, I got targets set up @ 25 and 50 yds and commenced with shooting the new to me .54 Pedersoli Rocky Mtn Hawken I just got from Knight Shooter... wanted to try .530 and .535 balls and a couple different patches and patch lube... great start I was on paper with first shot @ 25 and in the black..(I readjusted the front and rear sights before leaving home to center on the barrel)..it was almost like I was shooting a cap gun... no recoil at all...I was using 70grFF to start out with... it's not the fastest load, in fact I think the snot dripping from my nose in that cold wind was faster, but it got the job done... I moved the .530's to the 50 yd target and shot both .010 and .015" patches... it definitely liked the .015" as they were still in the black, but the .010" drifted low and right and doubled the group size to about 4". Then I went to shoot the .535's...l this is where stupid overtook me and with about 40 yrs of BP shooting I made a rookie mistake.

When making the gun deal with Knight Shooter, he told me that the ramrod had some cracks in it and I may want to replace it... I did.. took his advise and got one of those new fangled Delrin rods and the local BP shop.. looked like a good solution... but that darn thing doesn't work so good when it is slick and your hands are freezing... couldn't keep hold of it when trying to seat the ball.... so, I went to the wooden rod that came with the rifle... did well for about a dozen shots... then when putting down a dry patch after scrubbing I thought I felt a slight movement in the rod...instead of pulling it out like I should, I proceeded to put it down to the breech, but then it happened... about six inches short the tip broke off from the rod......not a pretty picture... wind and snow blowing, paraphanalia strung out across the benchs and an old fat "Moose" beginning to thaw from feeling so stupid...

Good Ending:

Called local BP shop(Fort Chambers in Chambersburg, PA) and asked if they could remove breech plug because I hadn't taken enough smart pills lately...Jack said bring it in and a half hour later the bore was clear(used compressed air to clear it).. got new hickory rod blank and end. It would have been a cheap trip, but I ended up buying another pound of Swiss and some hotter caps...They say "Live and Learn" sadly, I don't think I can live that long...

Have a good day... and once again thanks Knight Shooter

Kindest regards,

TheMoose

Hey we all make Rookies mistakes every now and then. Like inserting a bullet without adding powder first just as a example. The good news is they were able to resolve the issue quickly and you bought more supplies.

It happens...you could of removed the nipple, make sure the ball/bullet is all the way down bore,then put a few grains of powder in front of the nipple an reinstall then shoot it out in a safe direction. I personally have done that it does work.

Only time (hope I don't jinx myself) I messed up was like Ed, I dry loaded one time. Of course I was showing a novice to BP how to shoot...I covered up somewhat saying "that's what you don't want to do". :roll: Then used the above trick to shoot out the bullet. :yeah:

I've done the powder through nipple hole before but not while freezing my well larded butt off in high wind & freezing temps, also didn't want to take any unnecessary risk, even minimal with new(to me) rifle..a lame excuse for getting out of the cold

toytruck said:
It happens...you could of removed the nipple, make sure the ball/bullet is all the way down bore,then put a few grains of powder in front of the nipple an reinstall then shoot it out in a safe direction. I personally have done that it does work.

Only time (hope I don't jinx myself) I messed up was like Ed, I dry loaded one time. Of course I was showing a novice to BP how to shoot...I covered up somewhat saying "that's what you don't want to do". :roll: Then used the above trick to shoot out the bullet. :yeah:

That was quick thinking on your part. LOL

We've all done things, then after we ? ourselves.. At least you didn't have to de-breech it.

We all have our moments that’s for sure! :lol: My most recent one was a DANDY, I just got in from shooting and started my cleaning process, i chose to hold my Brand New Treso/Ampco nipple under running water (in my kitchen sink) While i worked it over really good with a soapy toothbrush, I chose to NOT put the Drain stopper in as that would have taken an extra whopping 15 seconds or so. NOW I KNOW BETTER THAN THIS! :lol: Yep you guessed it, i dropped that soap slicked nipple straight down the kitchen sink Drain! :shock: I stood there for a minute or 2 debating on leaving it, or tearing my drain apart (I cussed a little, didn’t seem to help any) That Nipple was BRAND NEW, 6 shots on it is all. I got me a towel and layed it under the Drain to catch the Trap water, and i tore it all apart, there was my nipple nestled in trap. Yesterday when i got home and cleaned i made sure and put the Stopper in the sink! :D

Lewis,

It could be worse, does the drain leak? My luck would have been to break something while working under the sink.

themoose said:
Lewis,

It could be worse, does the drain leak? My luck would have been to break something while working under the sink.

LOLOL!! Believe me i gave that some consideration before i started tearing it apart! :lol:

Back