Old vs New T/C Omega Breech Plugs

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been away for awhile... Long time, no posts...

I'm back in the inline game after getting an old 2003 T/C Omega with the black/gray laminate stock that looks like it was only fired 5 or 10 times. Luckily for me, the bore and breech plug were both cleaned very well before the rifle sat unused for 12 or so years. I always did like the design of the Omega.

I had a nice Omega X7 back in 2009-10, but after not using it in 2011, I made the mistake of showing it to my best friend (who is now my daughter's father-in-law). Anyway, he convinced me he'd use it much more than me, and he made me an offer that I couldn't refuse -- as I guess I got the hots for something else that goes bang. It's still "in the family" I guess, but when I asked him about it recently, he says he's keeping it. That's OK, as when I got that one, I had really wanted the longer barreled black/gray laminate version anyhow.

Well, I found one the other day that's in great shape, with a crisp 3# trigger too. It shot really well for the first 10 shots I put through her. Just to be safe, I bought a new backup breech plug and while cleaning the 'ol girl, I found she has the old style plug. Here's a pix showing the differences:

Old_vs_New_Omega_Breech_Plugs.JPG

I'm thinking to be safe I'd convert her to using the new-style breech plug, as I've confirmed that every plug I see for sale these days at Kittery Trading Post or at Cabela's all have a deep bowl in the face of the new plug, while the face of the older one is almost flat.

I'm guessing this change had to do with improving the ignition, maybe for pellets?

I still haven't decided whether I'll use Teflon Tape on the plug or not, as I don't ever recall having any issues with the old X7's plug. The neat little tools that T/C sells to clean the plug and the threads all work really well for me.

Any insights into this change of breech plug designs would be appreciated, thanks!

Old No7

ps: Oh yes, I had added "Deer Tracks" to the slippery stock of my X7 -- some of you may remember that posting -- and I'll soon be adding them to the black/gray stock too. I'll post some pictures when I do that.

The BP on the right is much more reliable for loose powder. Especially, BH 209.

I know this is an old post but I was wondering seeing which plug is the new one? I have a few omegas, one with the grey laminate stock like this one one also a camo t hole stock gun, both have the deep hollow breech plug, I'm
It sure how old the laminate stock gun it but it has the same style sights as my 1st get encore so I assume it's much older than my new in box t hole stick omega that was one of the last ones made just a couple years ago yet they both have the same plug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The plug with the deep hollow is the newer one, which they have been making as the standard plug for quite some time. I believe it was developed so it could be used with either pellets or loose with consistent results. With loose, particularly BH209, the hollow "cup" helps with ignition.

If you want to shoot loose powder in your Omega (again, particularly BH209) you want the newer plug.

Ok yea that's what I have in both and I've been shooting bh209 was just curious if I had the newer or older plug, thanks!

Ok yea that's what I have in both and I've been shooting bh209 was just curious if I had the newer or older plug, thanks!

The older plug makes a good base for a removable vent liner conversion. Possibly even a tungsten carbide bushing conversion too. IMO it can be made into an even better BH209 plug than the newer Omega plug.

Im not totally sure but i think PA Pete makes a similar plug.

Old No 7
Not all of the most recent BPs are welled /concave breechplugs. Last month I purchased a new bare primer breechplug for my Knight Vision, that is flat-faced.

BTW... I have both of those breechplugs pictured with my 2003 gray/black laminated Omega. Using loose powder in FFF, both work just fine to this day. I've never been a fan of pellet powders and never purchased any pellets.

Numbered 1-4 starting from the left what's the difference between 2 and 4? My encore have #3 my omegas have either 2 or 4 if their is a difference

All of my Omega's and one encore have the furthest right breech plug. I have never seen #3. I would like to try that one.

The rim on #3 is really thin. I'm guessing #3's design improves pellet ignition and BH209 ignition.

I think #3 was an early version, good for loose, bad for pellets as they would get crushed. #'s 2 and 4 (is there a difference?) was I believe a compromise design that has been the norm for quite some time, good for both pellets and loose.

Back