New to me TC Omega

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieTN

Reaction score
I recently traded my old compound bow (I bought a new one) for a stainless TC Omega .50cal with laminated stock and Nikon 3-9x40 Prostaff scope. Excited to have one of these as I’ve heard nothing but good things about them. The breech plug has some pitting on the inside face but the barrel is pristine and the rest of the action and gun is in very good condition. I am going to eventually have some one either checker the forend or laser engrave it for grip as it’s quite slick as is.

Anyway, just wanted to share. Hoping to go Tuesday and sight it in after I switch the scope mount from the see-thru rings to a one-piece DNZ mount. Gonna try some T7 FFG with the Hornady 240 gr XTP’s. Figured that ought to shoot good.

IMG_2100.jpegIMG_2102.jpegIMG_2103.jpegIMG_2104.jpeg

Got in the DNZ mount a couple of days early and got the scoped switched over. Let me get rid of the see-through rings that sat way too high as well as move the scope forward. The way the previous owner had it set up I don’t know how he kept from busting an eye.

Hoping to sight it in and do some load work up on Monday although it’s going to be a bit chilly here in TN.

IMG_2108.jpeg

Great deal, congratulations. I am a firm believer in a cheek piece, that way your not bobble heading and do not even realize it. It makes the gun more accurate as the eye / cheek alignment is always consistent where as not having one..i bet you would benefit greatly looking at your picture. Good luck.. shorty

Great deal, congratulations. I am a firm believer in a cheek piece, that way your not bobble heading and do not even realize it. It makes the gun more accurate as the eye / cheek alignment is always consistent where as not having one..i bet you would benefit greatly looking at your picture. Good luck.. shorty

I have one of those stock packs that I will move to this gun. I add some pieces of mouse pad underneath to get the correct height.

I’m also going to add a slip on recoil pad as the LOP is about 1/2” -1” short for me.

Got in the DNZ mount a couple of days early and got the scoped switched over. Let me get rid of the see-through rings that sat way too high as well as move the scope forward. The way the previous owner had it set up I don’t know how he kept from busting an eye.

Hoping to sight it in and do some load work up on Monday although it’s going to be a bit chilly here in TN.

View attachment 39714
Which height DNZ mount did you purchase? I’m looking to do the same to my Omega. Looks great.

Which height DNZ mount did you purchase? I’m looking to do the same to my Omega. Looks great.
I got it from Amazon. It was listed as 1” medium. It actually came with the TC logo on it. Apparently NOS branded. I don’t have the package in front of me so I don’t know the part number.

Well, I have a little problem. I took the Omega to the range to sight it in and do some load development. Probably shot about 15 shots or so and found a load that was shooting well. 120gr of T7 FFG with the Hornady 240 gr xtp. I was able to get 1 1/2” groups at 100 yards which was very good considering the wind was gusting between 10-14 mph and the targets at this range hang from a running cable so they move quite a bit with the wind.

The problem came when I got home. I cannot get the breech plug to budge at all. I did put some anti-seize on it when I initially cleaned it after the trade but it obviously was not enough. Currently I’ve got it sitting with some penetrating oil standing in the barrel to let it soak into the breech plug. I did try heating the barrel some earlier but not with a torch, only with a small heat gun. It was hot enough i couldn’t hold it with my bare hand.

What other suggestions to you all have to get this breech plug unstuck? I’ve never had one freeze this bad. It’s a bummer too because I was hoping to hunt with it Thursday. Maybe an overnight soak will get it unstuck. I picked up some really good anti-seize at the store when I bought the penetrating oil.

Well, an update for you all. I so greatly appreciate all of the input. The breech plug is out. I let it soak over night with the penetrating oil then grabbed my Dewalt impact driver and hit it lightly 3 times and it broke loose. The gun has been thoroughly cleaned, the plug greased very well with a very good anti-seize then barely put back in, just finger tight.

I also now know to break it loose every few shots at the range, something I hadn’t had to do with my previous muzzleloaders and Pyrodex.

Glad you got er out. I’d tighten that plug up snug before shooting again.
It’s finger tight, and with the Omega being a closed breech that should be enough. i talked to several Omega owners on another group and they all suggested that with the stainless, to only finger tighten it.

Back