Omega.45 caliber

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see that...
An x7 with visible rust just went for 565.

Maybe mine was rebarreled or something? I bought it from a guy on here and he told me it was definitely a 1:28.
You can find the twist yourself, use a ramrod with a cleaning jag and patch that fits tight in the bore. Make a mark on the ramrod to show rotation and it is marked in inches for length.

I have no idea where a 4900 serial number falls, but I have one in the neighborhood of 2600, which is somewhat earlier, that’s not 1:20.

If the serial is S2600 it should be a 1-20 twist. Might want to double/triple check it. I've seen one with a serial around 6400 that was a 1-20. The two I've owned were S2300/S3200 ish.

What is the advantage of this 45 1:20 versus a 50 cal 1:28?
I think the .45 1:20’s shine with heavy lead bullets? It’s interesting that if you look at the posts on forums from back in ‘03 everyone is complaining about the accuracy of these .45 Omegas with 1:20 barrels. It makes me wonder what they were shooting in them back then?

I think the .45 1:20’s shine with heavy lead bullets? It’s interesting that if you look at the posts on forums from back in ‘03 everyone is complaining about the accuracy of these .45 Omegas with 1:20 barrels. It makes me wonder what they were shooting in them back then?
The QLA most likely was a big factor in the problems with accuracy. TC never would admit the QLA was not correctly done in some rifles.

People were trying to shoot lite bullets with inferior sabots with heavy loads. It didn't work. I'm sure guys that knew better and were trying to shoot big lead were having trouble because of the QLA. Bottom line was most of these rifles along with Encore .45 1-20 barrels went back to TC and were exchanged.

Yeah 3 pellets and a 155gr bullet to mimic a 7mm-08 was a recipe for disaster. That was a commonly recommended load. Instead of taking the blame for the bad load data, they blamed the twist rate. Its still perpetuated to this day by people like Cecil at PR bullet. He will tell you that you cant shoot sabots over about 1650fps in a 1-20.

This is complete nonsense. Even the Knight 500 1-18 has shot them faster AND won a few shooting events.
https://www.prbullet.com/s45.htm
Since the early days of MLII 45cal conversions guys with SMLs have been shooting sabots over 2500fps with Harvester sabots. So the REAL truth is they may not shoot Cecils offerings. Like the old Super 45 days, he blames the twist and not his product's limitations.

I bought a .45 XR Black Diamond when they first came out, is that a 1:20 as well? I hunted with that for quite a while with 100 grains of Pyrodex and a 195 gr Barnes bullet in a tan sabot if I remember correctly. I never tried anything lighter or heavier. I still have the rifle but it doesn’t get used.

Yeah, looks like uncledino42 & IN_Boonechaser are in a Bidding War. 🥊

not anymore! I went to $575 from first seeing it and the serial # figuring it’d be a 1-20. Then when he posted that it was, I knew the price would shoot up. So unless someone else steps up Dino will be the new owner.
I bought one from this guy last year and he said the bore was “like a mirror” for it to have pitting in the breech area. When I received and questioned him, he said “well that’s not the bore” and he refused to return his shipping charges and I had to pay for shipping back to him.
but I did send a message and question him about his “bore shines like a mirror” this time on this one and he said that the whole rifled portion is as a mirror.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back