Omega Z5 and BH209 range results

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnymuzguy

Reaction score
Here are some results from my first range session with BH 209 and a stock Z5 Omega.

Temperature 38 degrees. PACT chronograph.

63 gr weighed (90 by vol) all sabot/bullet combs shot with this load.

MMP Short black sabot
TC 250 gr Shockwaves
1775 fps 5 shot average. 1.0 inch group.

Red Crushed Rib
Remington 289 gr copper solid
1726 fps 3 shot average. 3.0 inch group.

Harvester Green 44/50 sabot
Speer Gold Dot 270 gr .429 bullet
1741 fps 2 shots. 2.0 inch group.

Hornady Green 44/50 sabot
Speer Gold Dot 270 gr .429.
1722 fps 3 shots. 3.25 inch group.

Man, the Shockwaves were definitely dead on. The short black MMP designed for the Savage was tight, but the velocity was great and consistent. The 44/50 sabots loaded nice and tight, but didn't produce the velocity or accuracy I would like. The Remington bullet is like the Barnes expanders. I love the way they hold together, but accuracy in the lighter loads is lacking. I tried them in my Savage with several different sabots and ended up with 2-3 inch groups.

Overall, I was hoping for a little more velocity from the BH. I didn't do any cleaning between shots, and loading was consistent. Clean up at home was a breeze. No hang or miss fires.

All in all, it seems to be really good stuff.

Sounds like a good range trip. Did you consider pushing the shockwave a little harder. Instead of 90 grains, maybe 100 or 110?

I wasn't sure what the recoil was going to be like, so I started out a little conservative. Plus, I had surgery on my shoulder last Oct. I would like to get the Remington copper solids to shoot more consistent. I'm going to try the sabot that they come with next time in the Omega. Plus, I'm going to bump up to 100 gr (Vol). I really like the Omega, great trigger pull, nice to load, easy to clean, and good accuracy. I've been tinkering with a Savage for the past year, and haven't got a group like I did with the Omega and shockwaves. I'm not crazy about the standard SW's thin jacket so I just bought some bonded SW's to try in both rifles.

Latest posts

Back