Omega's first time at 200

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
:shock: A breezy day for such work but not too bad.Used 2 loads 240XTP .44 cal harvester sabots 80gr 2f T7 and Variflames with CCI small rifles.The 2nd load 300 grain .44 XTP harvester sabots and 90 gr 2f T7 same primers.Group 1 was 3 11/16 for 3 shots and 3 5/16 for the 2nd group.The 3rd was fired after a fella set up some wind flags and when all were limp group 3 was 11/16 for 3 at 200 :shock: !The first 3 groups were the 240gr with a velocity of 1725 fps and a drop of 12inches ( zero was center mass at 100). The 4th group was the 300 grain load and it was down 13 1/2 inches with a velocity of 1614 fps. My Z5 shoots both loads to the same point if impact at 100. I have a Leupy VX 1 2x7 in Leupy QR rings and bases.I found that at 7x the top of the bottom heavy post is 5 inches from the intersection of the fine hairs at 100 yards , so it would be 10 inches at 200.As you decrease the magnification that distance increases, so I kept the crosshais on the target and adjusted the magnification until the heavy point was centered in the group.Using the top of the heavy section ( bottom one) as the aim point, I fired the 3rd group and it hit dead on for elevation. With alittle experimentation it is possible to use a duplex crosshair without hold over and no guessing so long as you know the range. Of course I'll need alot more practice before thinking of a 200 yard shot.Nice to know my Omega is fully capable of making the shot. BTW those 2 groups are the smallest I've ever fired at 200 yards with anything let alone a muzzleloader.My Omega also holds that spot at 100 yards with a 3/16 inch 3 shot center to center. Also, recovered XTP's showed excellent expansion and weight retention even at this range.I know dirt isn't flesh, but its still confidence insipring.

Latest posts

Back