Once again---CLEANING PYRODEX

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Overdue Bill

Reaction score
I know for sure that I read, two or three times, about using vinegar for cleaning pyrodex.  Can someone tell me what the formula is for this and your opinion about the feasibility of using vinegar?  thanks a bunch!!!

Windex/vinegar mix is something windex already offers, so I do not know what the actual mix ratio is. I never had the need for the vinegar to be honest.

A little warm soapy water, flush again with clean water, dry, alcohol and run some lube down the bore.

For many years i have used Windex with vinegar (now called Windex Multi-Purpose Cleaner) to clean my muzzleloaders and antique Winchesters:  Mike Ventourino got me into that.    The stuff is about three percent vinegar.  

Before leaving the range i run a patch wet with Windex with vinegar down the bore and leave it wet.  Black powder and Pyrodex fouling is a base.  The vinegar neutralizes the fouling.  Sometimes you can see it fizz.   

At home: 

1.  Run patches

2.  Run another patch wet with Windex

3.  Run patches

4.  Run an oily patch. 

Takes 7-10 patches to get the bore squeaky clean.  Had my old CVA rifle since 2000.   It has fired well over 3,000 rounds.   The bore looks new.

FrontierGander said:
Windex/vinegar mix is something windex already offers, so I do not know what the actual mix ratio is. I never had the need for the vinegar to be honest.

A little warm soapy water, flush again with clean water, dry, alcohol  and run some lube down the bore.
Same here. Except, after the "dry" part I blow hot air thru the barrel with a blow dryer for about 20 minutes.  Get that barrel WARM.  Then the alcohol.

I to use the Vinegar in windex it works well. I do know of a mix of 1 part water, 1 part, vinegar and 1 part baking soda. that mix came from a gentlemen I met in 1998 at the Smith&Wesson academy. He worked at Ft. Belviour, Va, doing maintenance on the Old Guard black powder rifles. If I remember right his name was Bill Hutton.

Latest posts

Back