Once in a Lifetime tag

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

typical10

Reaction score
Eleven months ago I drew a once in a lifetime permit to hunt Oryx on the White Sands Missile Range in southern New Mexico. This past week Double Lung accompanied me on this hunt. We met up with Bob Atwood, an outfitter from Belen NM, that I hired to get us on the range and help find the Oryx. The weather was calling for 12? of snow in the dessert, now what kind of luck was that, I had already been snowed out of a late season hunt in North West Canada three weeks earlier. As it turned out only two inches fell and we were in good shape.
Oryx are a herd animal that was released in New Mexico in the mid 1960?s coming from Africa as an endangered species at the time, in which case they now have flourished on both continents with game management.
Our morning was starting out with its best effort to snow that was possible, and spotting the Oryx was challenging. Once we found a group, we started a stalk, however they were moving to quick, so we backed out and got the truck to get ahead of them a mile or more and try to pick them back up. It worked this time and we found them at 1000 yards and proceeded to make an angle that would get us within range. At the 400-yard mark they again started to angle away from us when one of the lead bulls strayed out a little to far. Rocky estimated him to be a 36? category, at that moment Double Lung set the tripod up and ranged him one more time, it was show time in a desert snow storm. The bull stopped broadside at 325 yards and at that moment time stood still, at the report of the 300 WSM the familiar sound of the hit was evident, the bull whirled around and ran 30 yards before expiring. After reconfirming he was down to stay, we all thanked our maker for the day and the harvest. The bull measured 35 ? ? with 7 ? ? bases, which is 7-9 years old. It wasn?t an extremely hard hunt, but to share that experience with a friend, and knowing I?ll never be able to draw that tag again, it was truly a hunt of a lifetime!
1243Oryx_1-med.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b295/ ... 1169758100

First congratulations on your successfull hunt! :D

I was looking into that hunt a couple of years ago,got sidetracked onto something else and never got back to the details of the hunt.
How many years did it take to get drawn for the tag?

Again, congrats.

p.s. I couldn't see the picture posted.

Even though it may not have been extremely hard, I have never done any stalking and I know it looks easy on TV, but we hunt alot of Piney woods whitetails, so stalking is pretty much OUT. Congrats on getting your tag draw and on your trophy.

First off congratulations. Truly a BEAUTIFUL critter. Nug andf I have applied for this hunt. This is our first year applying so my hopes of drawing are not too high. I was reading the NM web site regarding this hunt on the missile base and noticed that security is pretty stringent. It even said no camera's were permitted. How were you able to get photo's of what looks like right where the animal fell?
Did you hunt with a guide? If not, were you with a buddy who was familiar with the area? Was your hunting area crowded with other hunters?
Any info you can share would really be appreciated.
I am also to curious to know ... How was the meat?

Thanks and congratulations again!

we loaded him up checked him in and left the site to take pics. There were 105 hunters and within a hour we saw no one. 120,000 sq miles. Brought meat home, still in the freezer glowing :D
This was my first draw for them very surprised to get a tag.
Jeff!

Back