One down in Iowa

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlethcoe

Reaction score
Made it out Monday and took the CVA MR Ltd edition out, shooting 110 gr of BH 209, along with the Lehigh 458/300 gr subsonic bullets, Been shooting them on paper, now it was time to see what they would do on and animal.
Was out all day, had been seeing alot of small does, and spike bucks, nothing worth shooting, 1/2 hour before sunset, 3 does come out of the timber and he is right behind them, stopped on a little dike, he was quartering away from me. Ranged him at 158 yards, Set my dial on my scope for 150 yards, had the shooting sticks up all ready, Aimed for the opposite shoulder, Fired, He took a side step to the left then disapeared on the other side of the dike, reloaded and went over to check him out, he was gone, Then heard a bunch of noise behind some ciders, and there he was, he had went 35 yards.
Here he is, 7 pointer, 210 lbs field dressed.
20141209_122028_zps1abd13c6.jpeg

Here is a picture of the entrance wound, There was no exit wound, so it was not a pass thru shot. When I opened him up, it looked like some one had taken a drill with a wire brush to the inside of the body, The bullets from Lehigh did as what they are suppose to do, open up and the pedals break off, and do there thing inside the body. 
What surprise me was the rib that the bullet hit, was not broke, just the area where the bullet had gone thru it. The only medal that I could find was the piece above the entrance wound, you can just see it. It was lodged into the rib.
20141210_093959_zps9854dbb0.jpeg

This is what the heart looked like.
20141210_135549_zps8ec28c72.jpeg

I went back the next day to look for the Base and pedals, after I checked with a better light to make sure that it was not a pass thru on the deer, could not find one, so went looking, and the area had been cleaned up all ready, So I could not fine the bullet.
After seeing first hand what this bullet did to the insides of the deer and going thru part of a rib and not breaking it in half surprised me, then seeing what it did to the heart, I'M impressed with it.
I think that Lehigh Bullets has come up with some great bullets for muzzleloadering, for us to use.

Dave

Copy3ofvde1016_muzzle_loader_muley_editedE-1.jpg
:Red tup:
WOW...BIG-bodied deer, and Congrats on a great long shot :!:

Nice one! That heart looks pretty awesome with those slices in it, real clean looking.

Thanks everyone. I forgot to add that I was using the MMP orange sabots with these bullets.

Dave

Nice report Dave, I was hoping you would post some success with the Lehigh's. I hope to give them a go next year.

When I decided to use these for hunting, I wanted to make sure that I did a double lung shot, and see what they did on the inside of the animal. And was I surprised when I started to open him up. I was very impressed with this bullet and the out come of the damage they did to the organs, as you can see the damage of the heart.
I will be using the 452/250 gr XP'S Sabotless for late season muzzleloader out of my 45 cal Kodiak, so I hope to have another report on those also. 

Dave

Yes. I think the way he was quartering away that was the reason. Went back the next day and everything was cleaned up.

Dave

Great shooting & a nice buck buddy :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: 

Also a very good report. That bullet worked perfectly even without a pass thru. Another hole would NOT have made him any more dead :)

Hoping I can get a report soon too......all I need are deer, LOL

Dead is certainly dead. I am a little surprised the base didn't pass through after the petals broke off though. I am mainly a bow hunter so I can sympathize with not getting a pass through on those quartering away shots. Congrats on the deer BTW.

It could of been that it was a 158 yard shot and the way he was standing. I wish I could of found the base or the pedals to see what they looked like.

Dave

Good Job!

Nice deer Dave. Looks like all your testing worked out well for you.

Great deer, I am impressed with the photos on the damage that the bullet made. Was there any type of blood trail left behind by not having a pass through shot. I have done this with some of the shock waves I use and not get a good or not blood trail at all.

Would you care to post a photo of the bullet and sabot, if not much trouble, that you are using. Thanks Dawg.

Here are a couple of pictures of the Bullets that I was using. 
There was no blood trail, I wanted to hit about mid way up on the lungs to see what damage the bullet would do, He went about 35 yards, Looking at the heart I think he was done and didn't know it yet. There was some blood on his coat, and where he ended up at other than that nothing.
IMG_0001_zps6c520a0b.jpg
IMG_0004_zps94827ce3.jpg

Dave

Back