One thing I've learned about old ML books

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
They repeat a whole lot of the same ol crap!

I got 2 more books in today. Home guide to muzzle loaders & Black powder gun digest.

They both have good pictures, drawing and sketches of how the parts work but my goodness, its the same crap on how such and such works, load the ball sprue up, swab, blowing down the barrel.

Isn't there any cool books that are interesting for traditional muzzle loading? I already know how to load and shoot them, give me some damn tune ups to try!

It's the same with deer hunting books .. same old, same old.............

I wonder if anyone ever bothered to port the muzzle area of a front-stuffer to see if it had any effect, good or bad?

When someone writes a book they assume you don't know much, and have to start with the basics.

Otherwise, why did you buy the book?   :tongue:

Man, these guys in these books are morons! 290 grains of 2f in a 58cal for bear hunting?! Its no wonder people blow them selves up. You think that these guys know what they are doing as they have all the fancy rifles, clothing and skills to write a book, but then you start reading crap like that and you have to think... Whos the real idiot?

He said its a little more recoil than a 458!

Then hes got a picture of him reloading a single shot pistol directly from the powder flask LOL.

Im already on page 116 after skipping through the pistol, revolver, shotgun stuff. Just to boring.

george c. nonte,jr. in the book i am reading now. Its a little better than the sam fadella book as it has better tune up tips.

There are old muzzleloading books, and then there are OLD muzzleloading books.
The Ned Roberts classic should be in everybody's library as should the Walter Cline book. Madison Grant's hunting pouch book has some good stories along with the many pictures.
Old issues of Muzzle Blasts and Buckskin Report/Black Powder Report are always available on both Ebay and ABE. IMO, all of these are better than the average "how to" muzzleloading books.
One word of caution to those who have never been exposed to the Buckskin Report. It was the best magazine dealing with traditional muzzleloading ever published, but 'ol Ding didn't care much for TC products, and he got kinda vocal about it.

Sam Fadala kind of reminds me of Jackie Bushman. Sam found out about muzzleloaders and became an "over night" expert.
Jackie Bushman went from being a lousy tennis pro to "THE BUCKMASTER" in the time it takes to incorporate an entity, publish a magazine and charge dues.

I put more credence in Fadala than Bushman.

FrontierGander said:
george c. nonte,jr. in the book i am reading now. Its a little better than the sam fadella book as it has better tune up tips.
It's all about having extensive, hands-on experience in what you do...those people are the real experts.  I look at muzzleloading differently today simply because of advances in technology and testing methods...i.e., those things that simply were not available to experts of the past when they wrote their books. 

Since your experience is well documented, you should think about compiling your own works and writing your own book on muzzleloading today.  After all...muzzleloading is your passion!

patocazador said:
It's the same with deer hunting books .. same old, same old.............

I wonder if anyone ever bothered to port the muzzle area of a front-stuffer to see if it had any effect, good or bad?
Yes, mag-na-port did that over 20 years ago, toned the barrel jump but sprayed sparks out the top of the barrel (ports). Could be a little wild in dry country when hunting and you started a fire. Oh well time to roast a piece of meat... :roll:  :shock:  :(

Latest posts

Back