One thing you wish you’d started using or doing sooner?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aperture or peep sights…I would certainly have begun educating myself in their use years ago….My home state of Nevada allows “open sights “ only…recently I began their use in earnest and when set up to my particular view of a best sight picture, peep sights shrink my sighting error and groups substantially…the ”correct“ size aperture for the conditions even makes the target clearer and not just the sights.
My nickel’s worth of 2cents…(inflation)

Aperture or peep sights…I would certainly have begun educating myself in their use years ago….My home state of Nevada allows “open sights “ only…recently I began their use in earnest and when set up to my particular view of a best sight picture, peep sights shrink my sighting error and groups substantially…the ”correct“ size aperture for the conditions even makes the target clearer and not just the sights.
My nickel’s worth of 2cents…(inflation)
Thats where the Hadley Cup will really shine

That'll work to keep the breech plug from siezing? How many layers do you use?
Not sure... maybe 1.5 to two times around. If you go too thick, it won't thread right. Then you know that's too much. I use it on the nipple threads too, which is trickier. I always make sure the hole is not obstructed. Not sure if the spark from the cap would cut through to tape or not. Maybe I'll test that out on the range some time.

Not sure... maybe 1.5 to two times around. If you go too thick, it won't thread right. Then you know that's too much. I use it on the nipple threads too, which is trickier. I always make sure the hole is not obstructed. Not sure if the spark from the cap would cut through to tape or not. Maybe I'll test that out on the range some time.
Alas, it looks like ya'll don't recommend for CVA QRBPs...knew it sounded too good to be true ;)

I use teflon tape on my QRBP on my Accura V2 Lr and I haven't had any problems with it.
What I found with using teflon tape on my Accura's QRBP was that it made it too tight to remove by hand - even with the proper - one wrap, slightly overlapping is all that is needed. So for that reason, I still use a tiny smear of marine bearing grease on the threads. In my other guns, I have teflon tape on my BP threads.

What I found with using teflon tape on my Accura's QRBP was that it made it too tight to remove by hand - even with the proper - one wrap, slightly overlapping is all that is needed. So for that reason, I still use a tiny smear of marine bearing grease on the threads. In my other guns, I have teflon tape on my BP threads.
I've been using a single wrap and it seems to be fine in my accura V2 lr. I haven't had any issues removing the plug. I like using the teflon tape for ease of cleaning and it seems to seal better.

I've been using a single wrap and it seems to be fine in my accura V2 lr. I haven't had any issues removing the plug. I like using the teflon tape for ease of cleaning and it seems to seal better.
Cool, the teflon tape is the way to go, no mess like with grease or anti seize. The prob most have with them, including me in the beginning was simply using waaaay too much of it, not understanding that only a tiny smear on the threads is plenty.
I guess at 61 my hand strength isn't what it use to be & I can't unscrew the QRBP in the Accura with teflon tape on the threads & I need the use of pliers. With using a minute amount of grease, there really is no mess or issues to deal with, but when ya have to push a load out of the breech end for whatever reason, then, even a little grease will make the cleanup a lil more work.

Back