One with a round ball another with a hollow point and 4 misses

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willie14228

Reaction score
Okay so it started with a Traditions Kentucky 50 I just couldn't get any good luck. East texas deer season is also our rain season from the first day and four weekends after every day was rain I had nothing but trouble delay fires and or simply snaps and no bang.
Another thing about east texas is heavy wooded areas and thick brush a 5 foot smoke pole don't come to bare very fast in that mess.
well I decided to get me another smoke pole with a faster twist and shorter barrel and so got the deerhunter from traditions.
a nice lite 24 inch barrel with 1N48 twist
Thanksgiving day open sights I got a small doe nothing to write home about but it showed me what a 50 cal ball will do. In fact it eased my mind because this was after shooting at three different spikes that just ran off with no blood trails I don't shoot lightly each shot means a full day looking for a possible wounded deer. I just couldn't understand why I kept missing. Follow the rainbow.
yep back to the drawing board found a good book that talked about the ballistics of round balls and how if it's sighted for 75 yards 40 yards will be about a foot high.............Ah HA!!
So the doe was 20 yards looking dead at me and I forgot all I had read aimed for her head and hit her 8 inches below her head ball broke her neck dropped her like a rock.
I have been setting up in a tree stand last week and was looking at possible 100 or more yard kill shots so moved to the Hornady 45 hollow point 240 grain whole new ball game I have learned never buy just one box buy two use one to sight in with and learn it's sweet spots
yesterday I had two bucks really big nice bucks chasing a doe around but I couldnt get a kill shot.
went to the store this morning spent 40 bucks on spray and scents got to my lease around 7 am swabbed and cleared the barrel of moisture walked down to my stand got half way there and this guy jumped out in front of me at 75 yards
he isn't as big as the other two I saw yesterday but hey he will do. As you can see I took a boiler room shot complete pass through but boy it made a mess on its way through he ran about 15 yards up into the brush and dropped dead. I was back to my truck by 7:35 unloading the 4 wheeler to go and get him.
The only problem I have found with the Deer Hunter from traditions is they bent the lock hammer some so a scope can be mounted it makes the cup strike off center and I have had to replace a nipple already.

Attachments

• VZM.IMG_20151206_082152.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 279
You are in the right place to continue developing into a more skilled shooter/hunter here. There are unlimited improvements to be made with muzzle loading firearms, discovering them and improving your hunting ability along the way is "fine and pleasant pastime"

Nice buck, and good hunting action

Back